• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What else would I like?

johnalism

Oakley Beginner
Florida
Yesterday I went to a sunglass store for "research" and surprised myself that I liked the look and feel of the Flak 2.0s.

But my knowledge is limited, so I thought I'd ask the forum...If I like the Flak 2.0s, what other Oakley models (especially pre-Luxxotica) should I keep an eye open for?

I'm not looking to collect. I've never spent "good money" on sunglasses before. I'm researching and looking for one pair of quality sunglasses that I can wear and have for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

It depends what uses you envisage...
Juliets are top o’ the heap if you want “forever” glasses, but I’d not recommend them for a very active leisure lifestyle, as they are expensive to replace if lost, and an absolute magnet for knowledgeable thieves.
Take a look at the M Frame family ( M2, Radarlock) as all-round, rock solid performers, with lots of easily replaceable components, and great protection, good looks and fit.

OK, I've started saving up to buy my Oakley's. I will definitely be considering the Juliets.

Also considering...

• Flak 2.0
  • Crossrange
  • Holbrook (Not as likely now, though)
  • Something from M Frame line.

And of course, if another good recommendation comes along I'll weigh that too.

Appreciate the recommendations so far!

What do you like about the Crossrange?

Mostly that it felt like it fit on my face (a lot of sunglasses don't), and I liked the design that particular pair had on the arms.

On the con side--a big negative--is they don't look much different from a $15 pair I could buy at Walmart.

Seek out Sliver and Jupiter Squared. Crossrange is essentially Sliver with a standard nose bridge, and the interchangeable stems. If a keyhole bridge is a deal breaker for you, Jupiter Squared has a standard bridge and fits a lot like Crossrange/Sliver.

Crossrange is being phased out, but if you aren't planning to change the stems a lot, that's not really an issue. You can probably find clearance prices on Crossrange as well. I like that frame, and I actually swap the stems now and then.

Didn't realize Crossrange is on its way out. I'm going to be near an Oakley Vault in a few weeks, might go in with an eye out for those in hopes of finding a great deal on a pair.

Failing that, I'll turn my attention toward other frames. The "keyhole" bridge isn't really a pro or con for me. I really appreciate your bringing the Sliver and especially the Jupiter Squared to my attention.

Seek out Sliver and Jupiter Squared. Crossrange is essentially Sliver with a standard nose bridge, and the interchangeable stems. If a keyhole bridge is a deal breaker for you, Jupiter Squared has a standard bridge and fits a lot like Crossrange/Sliver.

Crossrange is being phased out, but if you aren't planning to change the stems a lot, that's not really an issue. You can probably find clearance prices on Crossrange as well. I like that frame, and I actually swap the stems now and then.

Since you mentioned pre suxgotchacaca Oakley's. The original Half Jackets (I still don't understand why they called them flak 2.0s when to me they really look more like a successor to half's...). Original Flaks. M Frames. Straight Jackets. Radars (right on the tail end of Oakley only design). I stuck with sport O Matter recommendations mainly because you said you liked the way Flak2.0 fit. There are other options that give similar coverage profiles as well. But it's a starting place in older models.

Latest Posts

Back