• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What happens when Oakley X Metal worker makes an Oopsie?

Current winning bid and max bids are two different things.

Incremental bids are a loser's strategy. As in, the only way you win making incremental bids is if there's no competition. But, assuming there is competition:

If your script was to do that, take the current max bid + the bid increment in the final milliseconds, you'd lose because the current winning bid is overwhelmingly likely not the max bid of that bidder, an incremental bid won't beat him.

If your script was set to make a continuous series of incremental bids until it is the highest bidder, that's really risky, you could end up way overpaying. I know a guy who's sniped bids for $30K for items that went for around $5K. Can you imagine having your script win an auction for you at 6X what it's worth, especially a high-dollar item? No, there needs to be a cap to it, a maximum bid amount where the script stops. And if you have a maximum bid, there's no need for a script, you can accomplish that with a single manual snipe bid and let eBay's SW handle the incremental part.

The advantage to snipe bidding software / scripts is you don't have to be online and active to place the bid at the time of the auction end. But otherwise there's no competitive advantage.

And really, cutting it down to the final milliseconds risks missing out placing a bid in time due to network latency issues.

Thanks for clarification - makes sense. I don't bid eBay much, at least competitively.

Yep, bid your max right at the end, entirely possible to do manually and once you’ve done it a few times you get the timing straight. When I first started bidding on eBay many years ago, I would always get beaten at the last moment and it was a case of “if you can’t beat them, join them”. I have various tactics for what I bid too, because of how the eBay increments algorithm works.

Took me a while to get used to it as well. When I first started bidding I'd be doin it all the way through. Last second strategy has worked out for me so much better and @kronin323 said it best. It keeps me from bidding anymore than I'm comfortable with if I get outbid. Nothing worse than buyers regret. Like damn I shouldn't have paid that much.

If the ebay moniker is accurate, it could very well be the Neil Ferrier involved with the designing of the C6 and the concept of neXt-Metal "flexing" earstems.

Neil Ferrier Of Discommon Goods Is Inspired By Automotive Design
(just search the article for Oakley)

About (His current company, Discommon Goods)

More neat info, his patents: Neil Ferrier Inventions, Patents and Patent Applications - Justia Patents Search
Neil is a great guy, very smart and such. Here is Neil in a cool Rod at the location of the Flask torture test.

IMG_5611.jpg

Latest Posts

Back