• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What If Your Oakleys Could Change Colors In The Sun....

Had any issues yet? I have both clears and both have been problematic. Micro lays well, but seems to flake right off if you scratch it anywhere at all, and also with wear seemed to flake. Curious to see, Armor beaded up like water on the surface. was very odd.
I learned some things that help with the flaking issue , layering lots of thin coats then bake it . Even with it being air dry the baking seems to help cure it much better . I did a test pair recently and when it was dry the surface was so slick you would had thought it was colored plastic .

I also found out from calling Cerakote that this stuff wasn't made to go over other Cerakote ( wait what?) and sometimes does not set when sprayed on , like your beading .

I was using the thinner clear and did not realize till later that they have a second air dry that is a bit thicker, I haven't tried it yet but it may be a bit more durable .

Cerakote also informed me that this stuff is best used on an original surface aka straight on the I blasted frame .

What I am doing on my color shifts is using a black oakley frame as a base , i spray 1 good layer of clean clear on the frames (the pigment flakes screw with adhesion if I spray that first) I then spray the clear with the pigment on it . Once that looks the way I want I go over that with pure clear again . I then bake it .

It's time consuming but the result is a bit better .

Last edited:
See, I have both having adhesion issues, but the Armor Clear (oven cure) was worse than the Micro. Micro is extremely thin and lays awesome, but just doesn't bite into the substrate below. Not sure wtf is up with it, even after talking to them several times. The armor I used 2 days ago for the first time, and it was a total disaster. Was on the phone with them, told to flash the cerakote, then apply the armor clear, and cure it all at once...Ya, uh, no workie. Armor literally flew off the final cured item with the hit of an blower nozzle on the air hose. My urethane clears are more durable, bond better, and DON'T have any screwy issues like that.

Armor says can go over anything, but I am finding NOTHING likes to stick to a cerakoted item...period.

See, I have both having adhesion issues, but the Armor Clear (oven cure) was worse than the Micro. Micro is extremely thin and lays awesome, but just doesn't bite into the substrate below. Not sure wtf is up with it, even after talking to them several times. The armor I used 2 days ago for the first time, and it was a total disaster. Was on the phone with them, told to flash the cerakote, then apply the armor clear, and cure it all at once...Ya, uh, no workie. Armor literally flew off the final cured item with the hit of an blower nozzle on the air hose. My urethane clears are more durable, bond better, and DON'T have any screwy issues like that.

Armor says can go over anything, but I am finding NOTHING likes to stick to a cerakoted item...period.
When I tried spraying over Cerakote that was my issue , it worked way better staying onto a unblasted acetone cleaned frame , however the only way do this is even viable is with using pigment with the clear other wise your just making stock frames shiny lol. All in all its a hassle . I may try a tester of the thicker air dry they have and if that's the same ol I may just go to auto clear to do color change projects or just not do them at all .

When I tried spraying over Cerakote that was my issue , it worked way better staying onto a unblasted acetone cleaned frame , however the only way do this is even viable is with using pigment with the clear other wise your just making stock frames shiny lol. All in all its a hassle . I may try a tester of the thicker air dry they have and if that's the same ol I may just go to auto clear to do color change projects or just not do them at all .
I honestly wouldn't waste another dollar on Cerakote Clears...Trust me. It isn't cracked up to what they say. I will try to post the video, it is sick how easy it literally blew clean off the substrate. I am having them refund/exchange the stuff it's literally that bad. Only thing I have experienced like that is krylon rattle can crap

Latest Posts

Back