• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What in the Holy Shnikies is happening to me ?

Here you go ! IMG_20180417_200839589~2.jpg IMG_20180417_200914109_HDR~2.jpg

Using the same tool myself I can tell the best way to put them back in is to use your thumbnail. If everything lines up correctly you can use your thumbnail to push the rivits in until the lock ring hits then use the tool to push them the rest of the way in. You’ll only need to push a little and they will be locked in. If you do it that way I guarantee you’ll never get a misaligned pin which results in a blown out hole.

View attachment 462153

The other thing you need to take care of is that tip. You’ll ruin pins taking them out and putting new ones back you’ll booger them up. You want it to be flat or ideally concave. @Bonz-1 has a very nice modification for his.

Two small tips, I put a drop of Purell or lens cleaner on the pin when pushing them in or out and I use an old cleaning cloth between the tool and the pin when taking them out and also between the bridge and tool when putting them in to prevent any damage.

Using those methods I only replace pins that were already garage. In fact I just ordered new pins and flex couplers from @zwc0442 that should last me the rest of the year. I highly recommend his parts.

Good luck and happy tinkering, once you do a few you’ll be in love and looking for every cheap beater you can find!
Great info @SiRacer420 . Thank you for the insight from your experience. Much appreciated my friend . I’m hooked already brother. I’m trying to figure out how to use my resources to make parts for X metals out of Damascus , TiMascus , Z-Cord etc. Imagine XX Metals with a Damascus nosepiece and hammer stems.

I’m using a set of beaters for my first go round. I’ve heard they can be a bit tricky on a couple other threads I researched. Thanks for the heads up . Yes I’m sure X-Man will see a few of mine as well.
You must get the best couplers and pins or you will destroy the bridge. It should be effortless when pushing the pin through the frame. If there is a lot of resistance STOP! It means you are about to force the pin against the nose bridge and it is not aligned. It will result in you pushing the pin against the point you don't want it to and you will get push on the side of the pin hole and then the bridge is shot.

Expensive mistake if you get it wrong. Takes a good while to get it right.