• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is Best Lens For Low Light (dusk) Riding?

I guess there is not a perfect solution to what I want to do without spending a lot more money than I want to or having a lot of different lenses than I really want to swap out. It boils down to 2 choices: 1) get Transition lenses (Persimmon grey) or 2) purchase one other set of lenses, but can't decide which ones. I had a couple of thoughts and please let me know if they make sense:

1) I return my current Flak Jackets and purchase a new pair with the Persimmon/grey Transitions lenses? Then buy the grey polarized?

2) I could purchase a stand alone set of Transitions lenses, but only clear/grey Transition is available for individual purchase and not the persimmon/grey. If I were to get the clear/black Transitions, will they be too similar to the grey polarized lenses I currently have and a waste of money (to have the grey polarized)?

3) If I purchase just one set of lenses, I would save myself money because I wouldn't have to pay for return shipping. Are the VR28 or G30 just too dark for riding when it starts to get dark? Are things just too bright with the Persimmon when it is cloudy/overcast? How does Persimmon look when it is sunny?

4) With the Persimmon/grey transition, because I "think" that the lightest it gets is Persimmon and if driving, because of the windshield, it would always stay Persimmon in color? Is that true or would it get darker? Is Persimmon too light for driving on bright days?

Hope this makes sense.

For the cost of simply buying the clear/grey transitions lenses, I could purchase 2 extra sets of lenses (Persimmon, VR28, G30, and/or clear) and still save. But I guess part of the selling points of the transition lens is the convenience of not having to always swap out lenses.

I just bought polarized Fast Jackets on Friday. I noticed the included second set of lenses in my frame color/primary lens option were persimmon.

I wasn't thrilled with the view of them via the website's lens comparison page. But driving into work today in overcast skies convinced me otherwise. The contrast makes things really pop out. I'm pretty happy now.

Hope this helps a little.

I guess there is not a perfect solution to what I want to do without spending a lot more money than I want to or having a lot of different lenses than I really want to swap out. It boils down to 2 choices: 1) get Transition lenses (Persimmon grey) or 2) purchase one other set of lenses, but can't decide which ones. I had a couple of thoughts and please let me know if they make sense:

1) I return my current Flak Jackets and purchase a new pair with the Persimmon/grey Transitions lenses? Then buy the grey polarized?

2) I could purchase a stand alone set of Transitions lenses, but only clear/grey Transition is available for individual purchase and not the persimmon/grey. If I were to get the clear/black Transitions, will they be too similar to the grey polarized lenses I currently have and a waste of money (to have the grey polarized)?
Clear/Black is a 66-10% lens. Grey Polar is 17%. You're getting a lens that goes quite a bit darker, into the area where polarized isn't as necessary for daily use outside of water/snow.
3) If I purchase just one set of lenses, I would save myself money because I wouldn't have to pay for return shipping. Are the VR28 or G30 just too dark for riding when it starts to get dark? Are things just too bright with the Persimmon when it is cloudy/overcast? How does Persimmon look when it is sunny?
It really depends on how dark you're talking. Sun still peeking out, sunset? Or sun is gone, darkness is in, headlights required?
4) With the Persimmon/grey transition, because I "think" that the lightest it gets is Persimmon and if driving, because of the windshield, it would always stay Persimmon in color? Is that true or would it get darker? Is Persimmon too light for driving on bright days?
I would never wear persimmon on a bright day, but the persimmon/black lens only goes to 42%, where standard persimmon is a 61% lens. I can wear VR28 on a sunny day and not be too bad off, but I don't think 42% is bright enough for what you want to use it for. Being in the car and having the sun indirectly coming in may not force the lens to fully transition, and you're stuck using a lens that's not getting as dark as required. These are targeted for riding into a shaded area or during dawn/dusk as light changes rapidly I believe, not wearing one lens all day indoors and in the car.
For the cost of simply buying the clear/grey transitions lenses, I could purchase 2 extra sets of lenses (Persimmon, VR28, G30, and/or clear) and still save. But I guess part of the selling points of the transition lens is the convenience of not having to always swap out lenses.
I would personally go with a yellow, G30, and your grey polarized as 3 lens tints. The standard case holds 2 spare sets, changing only takes a few seconds at a stop light if you're in the car, and you won't be out $150 if you scratch or beat up your one set with a transition pair.

I guess there is not a perfect solution to what I want to do without spending a lot more money than I want to or having a lot of different lenses than I really want to swap out.

Well, actually yes there is a perfect solution. Listen to the other seasoned cycling commuter's advice and buy a Clear lens.

I have tried loads of lenses over the years and boiled it down to carrying just two kinds.
The bottom line is I don't like carrying loads of stuff, and I don't want to be constantly stopping and swapping lenses whenever the sun peeks out or hides away. Therefore Grey if the sun is out. Clear if it's dark. End of.

I've tried Persimmon etc for cycling in the dark and quickly discovered that actually I want to be able to see where I'm going.
Therefore you want the maximum amount of light travelling thru the lens to your eyes.
Which is a Clear lens.

Or, alternatively, do exactly what I did and spend loads of money on different lenses before realising that Clear is the right one.

Well, actually yes there is a perfect solution. Listen to the other seasoned cycling commuter's advice and buy a Clear lens.

I have tried loads of lenses over the years and boiled it down to carrying just two kinds.
The bottom line is I don't like carrying loads of stuff, and I don't want to be constantly stopping and swapping lenses whenever the sun peeks out or hides away. Therefore Grey if the sun is out. Clear if it's dark. End of.

I've tried Persimmon etc for cycling in the dark and quickly discovered that actually I want to be able to see where I'm going.
Therefore you want the maximum amount of light travelling thru the lens to your eyes.
Which is a Clear lens.

Or, alternatively, do exactly what I did and spend loads of money on different lenses before realising that Clear is the right one.

I use my Jupiter Camo jawbones for road cycling. What I came to realise is that it comes with the perfect set of lenses- the +ve red for when the sun is out and the yellow for when it's grey/ dark.

Herbsley does have the point though that if you want to go out night riding, you should really stick with a clear lens- it'll help keep crap out of your eyes!

Which is a Clear lens.

Thanks. Based on your feedback, I will be looking into clear lenses. I probably should have also mentioned that in addition to riding (commuting, racing, mountain biking), I will also be using these Flak Jackets as my everyday sunglasses (driving, around town, etc) so the other comments about G30 or VR28s are also valuable to me.
-Nick

I'd have to agree with Herbsley, I've used both the high intensity yellow and clear for road racing and mountain biking. In the end I always ended up using my clear lens as my standard non-sunny day lens mounted to a Pro M frame.

I agree, the clear lens is my active duty lens option for sundown/ nighttime rides.

Back