• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is FMJ And How Does It Work?

And straight from the top secret hallowed scriptures of O Review, no less.
Like we were being given access to the Vatican library, in Dan Brown's latest novel, "Da Oakley Code".

From a couple people on the o review ......

FMJ is a lite metal application that Oakley bakes, similiar to a powder coating process, onto certain frames. This thin layer is anti-corrosive yet brital.

Pretty much all FMJ eyewear starts out black. The frames are attached to clips in a mostly closed fashion. Under the earsocks of just about every pair of FMJ eyewear you will notice two spots where the frame is black. Thats where its attached to the clips so it doesnt get painted there (also a small portion of the hinge). The glasses are clipped into rows on a huge gear driven hollow cylinder a litter bigger than a refridgerator sitting on its side. Two large copper contacts protrude from one end of the device which links to some SUPER heavy gauge copper wire down the length of the device. Also along the length of the device tiny pieces of im-not-sure-what-kind of metal are attached in line with the heavy gauge wires. The metal flakes are about 1/2"x1/4" and are very thin and only maybe 10-20 flakes are used in the whole process (if i recall correctly). The whole cylinder is pushed into a big chamber and the door sealed tight. The copper contacts are charged with a huge jolt of electricity which vaporizes the metal flakes and the plastic frames are charged which causes the vaporized metal to stick to it. When the frames come out they are all a very bright chrome looking color (brighter than polished aluminum but along the same lines). I actually thought it would be a cool color by itself but they arent finished yet. The frames then get transfered to the FMJ painting room where they are given their final color. This process is apparently very toxic and highly flammable. The employees have to wear full suits of protective gear to work in there. In my years at Oakley one fire started in the FMJ lab that required evacuating the whole building. Lucky they managed to keep it under control.
That's amazing. Would you happen to know what my frame color is, and if it's FMJ? (I'm looking for a stem). Thanks so much!

tempImage8GVJh3.png

Back