• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is Happening To My Lenses?

If the lenses stay like they are now, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with them. As others have mentioned, it doesn't affect vision while wearing them and you have to look close to see it. However, I expected this to just be the beginning. I thought that once they start peeling, they will continue to do so over the entire lens. I am still disappointed though.

I emailed Oakley. I am sure there is nothing they will do since they are out of warranty, but I thought it was worth a try.

I emailed Oakley. I am sure there is nothing they will do since they are out of warranty, but I thought it was worth a try.
Let us know of their reply?

I have a problem like this in my beater Juliet (Ruby lenses). I also had that in my very first pair, but I've done EVERYTHING with them, including going to the beach and taking a dive hahaha
It's not affecting my vision so I keep using it.

I have other pairs that I use regularly (for years now) but with nothing so radical as swimming, and nothing happened.
The frames look a little beaten and I had to change the Unobtainium yes, but the lenses are as new.

I wonder if European Oakley's are more durable? Apparently they are held to higher quality standards over there.

It is the AR coating on the inside of the lens that is peeling. This will happen with most brands of sunglasses. Skin oils that arent washed off will do this. If you clean your glasses every other use, and take the lenses out of the frame, you wont have this problem. This is where most people draw the line, but because I do clean with that frequency, I never run into this.

With all due respect, I just dont understand what you want from these glasses. Many people dont realize this, but shades are a high-wear item. Lets say you bought them for $200. You have had them for 5 years. Every time you put them on your face, they are being stretched, the plastic is exposed to the sun, the frame is subjected to the highly-corrosive oils of your skin, etc. i buy $100 tennis shoes and am thrilled if they go a year and a half without getting a hole in them. My t-shirts usually are done in half a year. A good pair of pants last me 3 years at my job. Five years for a pair of shades that still have a ton of life? Let me have your 5 year old pair and I will buy you any gas station glasses your heart desires.

Stick to non iridium lenses , they are much easier to take care off.
it isnt the iridium coating, it is the AR coating that stops light from coming off the back of your lenses when the sun is behind you. So non-iridium lenses will have the same problem. Iridium has to be gouged or scratched off, because it is bonded on the molecular level. AR is like Saran Wrap, which is why skin oils make it peel away.

To further your point OakleyGuru, running shoes can cost $100-150 and (depending on how much you run) can wear out in as little as a month, most likely 2 months. And so if you think that if you live somewhere sunny, and wear your Oakley's each time you go running, 2 or so years is actually a pretty good lifetime.

I wonder if European Oakley's are more durable? Apparently they are held to higher quality standards over there.
The CE mark we require is also on releases in the US; there's not any additional work done for them to be on sale here. They just make sure they all reach those CE standards.

Back