• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is The Story Behind The Names?

Crankcase, gearbox, fuel cell, oil drum, holeshot.

Those are related to cars and racing.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else too well right now soooooo lets think about this for a MINUTE, hey! That's a good name......"minute"! What do you think big taco? There's another one!

:smile:

Like being in the Google think tank, it'll be what they have at hand on the day... Big Taco's for lunch, listening to some Garage Rock while some woman in the corner shares her weekend's Antix on a film she watched that featured Romeo & Juliet. Off in the distance a sketch artist looking out the window noticed a guy working on his engine decanting his Gascan into an Oil Drum and thought it was a bit Over the Top that he used a Bottle Cap to scoop out the contents...

I have no idea, but it would be interesting to find out for sure how they come up with the names.

Like being in the Google think tank, it'll be what they have at hand on the day... Big Taco's for lunch, listening to some Garage Rock while some woman in the corner shares her weekend's Antix on a film she watched that featured Romeo & Juliet. Off in the distance a sketch artist looking out the window noticed a guy working on his engine decanting his Gascan into an Oil Drum and thought it was a bit Over the Top that he used a Bottle Cap to scoop out the contents...

I have no idea, but it would be interesting to find out for sure how they come up with the names.

You might be onto something there for sure!

A lot of the names Oakley has come from a certain "series" of names. Square O was kicked off with the Gascan, and the Fuel Cell is a type of gas tank, Canteen holds water, as Frank said several other racing-inspired names.

The 90's pairs saw a lot of jacket themes. Eye Jacket, Straight Jacket, Trenchcoat, Topcoat, Half Jacket.

There's the number series, Four, Five, Ten, Twenty. And strangely the sizing for them is Four<Five<Twenty<Ten

Several wires follow a prison scheme from being aviator styled; Inmate, Felon, Warden, Plaintiff, Dispatch (O-matter), etc.

Then for some reason Oakley breaks the chain. Hijinx and Antix are synonyms, but you go from Gascan to Fuel Cell to Batwolf? WTF?

And, of course, the two first metals were Romeo & Juliet. No idea where Penny came into the mix, or why they crossed XX from O-matter into metals (or vice versa).

There have been several gun-related names, tennis, marathon, etc.

You've got me as to where a lot of other names come from though.

So the ten is bigger than the XX? I had no idea, never picked up a pair.

The current Ten is a LOT bigger. The original Tens is very much a bigger Five, very similar stems with the dimples, just larger orbitals.

I wear the Ten, XX was too small for me. Tens would work, but the older inflexible frame doesn't jive with my skull.

The current Twenty I thought was even smaller than the XX, more like a Five with rubber.

Back