• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is Your Job.........

While job searching, I've been mulling the idea of being open to contract positions. Upsides I can imagine are that I'm still at the age of building experience and generally figuring out which direction I'd want to go — I don't need to BS about wanting to stay forever. I guess vacation time framework is a bit more immediate as well.

I had a friend who took up a contract position and was retained for an extra 2 years. Believe I mentioned him earlier either here or the Grind/Gears thread. He actually decided to end renewal because growth wasn't happening — which is what I'd assume to be one of the cons going this route.

Any input? I surely wouldn't do this if there's no benefits package or getting paid less/same as I currently do.

While job searching, I've been mulling the idea of being open to contract positions. Upsides I can imagine are that I'm still at the age of building experience and generally figuring out which direction I'd want to go — I don't need to BS about wanting to stay forever. I guess vacation time framework is a bit more immediate as well.

I had a friend who took up a contract position and was retained for an extra 2 years. Believe I mentioned him earlier either here or the Grind/Gears thread. He actually decided to end renewal because growth wasn't happening — which is what I'd assume to be one of the cons going this route.

Any input? I surely wouldn't do this if there's no benefits package or getting paid less/same as I currently do.
Fixed term contract or daily rate contracting? Quite a difference. I contracted for a while before the crash in 2008 and, while there were no benefits (apart from flights and accommodation, which they paid too), the daily rate was more than four times what I had been earning in the same job as a permie.

Fixed term contract or daily rate contracting? Quite a difference. I contracted for a while before the crash in 2008 and, while there were no benefits (apart from flights and accommodation, which they paid too), the daily rate was more than four times what I had been earning in the same job as a permie.

I'm assuming most I've been seeing is fixed term. One position I'm looking at is listing full coverage benefits.

When I was working in the public schools, they did contracts for everyone for one year. That way they could just not renew the contract if they didn't want a person. The part I didn't like was that you never knew if they were going to renew it until the end of the school year. Sometimes into the summer.

The worst part was the smaller Charter Schools would spend up all of their budget at the beginning of the year and then by April had nothing left. Support staff is always the first to go and at the end of the school year they figure they can do without the IT dept. Dumb. Then by the time the new school year rolls around I had already found another school to start all over at. That happened for a few years.

Contracts may be good for some, but the only experience I've had with them has made me not want to ever do it again.

I guess it all depends what industry youre in, but being an employee always made me feel like I was making someone elses paycheck for them. I couldnt stand that feeling.

23 tons of galvanized grating....

image1.jpg

My latest project is Field Managing install crews for Little Caesars lobby remodels. Many of you in the Houston, LA & Chicago markets may be seeing the new image. 200 down 500+ to go.

4e54db67e5697ec7ecef2577bcd6fb2a.jpg

Just saw this remodel at a local Little Skeezers to me. Were you in my hood and didn't get in touch?

Back