• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Lens Tint Is This?

Hi Frank,

Downloaded and tried the app. While its pretty cool, the iOS version at least seems to have limited lense choices. It has helped confirm to me though at least that black iridium lenses would be too dark for me, due to where I live.

I really wish I could get my hands on both the Blue and Jade Iridium to compare them. I may head to a sunglasses hut and see if I can find them in any sort of frames they have just to get an idea of them.

that's strange....you sure it won't let you go through all the lenses? I think it lets you go through quite a bit....

AAAAhhhhh..........I see, you are right....it doesn't have all the lenses.....maybe 70% of them? But it is a good tool to help....just make sure you go through the whole app by changing the scenery and clicking on the sun icon to change from sunny to cloudy....and then see all the lens options that are recommended.

At least it did help a little. :thumb:

The Blue Iridium 20 yr ago is close to what it is now withe more Iridium, but it was changed about 15 yr ago to Ice. That is what you guys remember and Lux brought the "new" blue back but not as heavy an Iridium coating as when Jim still ran Oakley.

The Blue Iridium 20 yr ago is close to what it is now withe more Iridium, but it was changed about 15 yr ago to Ice. That is what you guys remember and Lux brought the "new" blue back but not as heavy an Iridium coating as when Jim still ran Oakley.
Uhhh, what?

Today's blue and the original Blue Iridium have very little in common.

I had a pair of subzero #4 blue iridium and that was a vr28 base so it was contraslook thou through. As I said they went to Ice which has a gray base with a neutral color looking through. Then this Blue is brought back a couple years ago and it has the same vr28 base, but the blue iridium is not as reflective as it was 20 yr ago.

That's not correct. The original blue had a grey base. Due to the iridium color they took on a slight amber tint which was more apparent in the shield (Zeros falling into the shield category) lenses. The current blue with a VR28 base is a completely different lens and shares the name only with the old style.

Take a look at the current Violet lenses and they suffer the same malady as the early blue lenses - inconsistent "base" color that is caused by the coloring of the iridium.

I don't know how else to say this, but you're wrong.

Nothing about the picture of the old Sub Zero supports your assertion.

Here's a photo of 3 lenses. Are you telling me the two on the right are both the same base tint? VR28 didn't even exist when the first Blue lens came out. As I said, it had a subtle amber tint to it, but the base lens was NOT VR28. You can even see the color of the middle lens shift to a more neutral toward the right of the photo, as the effect was more pronounced toward the center of the lens.

Yes, the old blue has some color to it unlike Ice which is a solid, even grey, but it wasn't VR28.
F489A40F-62DB-4E7B-9B3B-C5E04129F214-8015-0000097A27902863.jpg

I wasn't linking the picture, if you see below it where it says lens blue iridium and touch the blue iridium wording it expands to show the base for the lens. You can do that for any pair of glasses that's how extensive the database is. I lean toward its an amber as the e wire I have with blue is more amber looking.

Latest Posts

Back