• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Makes A Collection Elite?

To me an "elite" collection includes some rare and hard to find pieces, some mint classics, and some iconic pieces. They dont all have to be high dollar or even sunglasses for that matter. Most importantly it must be pieces you enjoy or what's the use in having them. Is my collection "elite"? I dont think it is quite to that level yet but some of my most treasured pieces arent even sunglasses...

To me an "elite" collection includes some rare and hard to find pieces, some mint classics, and some iconic pieces. They dont all have to be high dollar or even sunglasses for that matter. Most importantly it must be pieces you enjoy or what's the use in having them. Is my collection "elite"? I dont think it is quite to that level yet but some of my most treasured pieces arent even sunglasses...
And what are specific pairs

It depends on the collection. Is it X-metals or vintage O Matter? Shoes or goggles? A mixture of all or something else? It depends on the individual collection as to what would make it elite.

On a side note I dont own any piece of Oakley's Elite collection..... yet.

The main question here is "what makes a collection top tiered?" If you consider how this relates to most types of collecting, the following are the key points:

1) To have amongst the highest quantity representation of the chosen subject among your peers.
2) To have a considerably high percentage of personal items in as complete and mint condition as possible.
3) To have included within the collection a wealth of rare items.

A 'TOP' collector of records, books, coins, stamps and so on, will be able to showcase the above. In Oakley sunglass collecting terms, I would say 'top tier' collections would amount to 500+ glasses since there are some, but not many, collectors that will have that quantity. Such collections will have weak and strong points, but all are likely to feature top drawer exhibits and should contain mostly perfect examples of each piece. Some may have a 'top tier' specialized collection, eg Mercbezerk has the best Holbrook collection, TERRORISM the best Time Bomb collection, Alexis Watkins the best Eye Jacket collection etc.

IMHO, having one of the hobby's elite collection is more than a numbers game. It really isn't defined by having XXX number of glasses. In fact, that would be pretty boring if that's how a collection is described. It may work for non-collectors and the newer collectors, but I think the long-time collector moved beyond just that. Sure, there is some element of having quantity to be considered a big time collector, but there's more to it than just that. To me, an elite collection will be diverse because Oakley has produced a lot of great products over the years and not just sunglasses; it needs to be well displayed and curated, because we don't collect just boxes; it needs to have some rare items to make everyone drool over; it needs to represent what kinda collector you are, because buying for buying sake isn't interesting. Above all, it should demonstrate how passionate you are about the brand and it's products, because anyone can go out and buy a buncha product.

Interesting question. As far as I can tell "Elite" status is in the eyes of the beholder. My collection may be elite to one person but not to another. A collector that values quantity might rank collections by the biggest while still another might value specific pieces or series as elite and value collections based on that. I would say the best way to collect is enjoy your own collection for what it is and what it will be based on your likes and wants. Pretty much every long time collector here has a collection that someone else here would consider elite in a way so don't worry about how others feel about your collection. If you are happy with what you have and are doing with yours there will always be at least 1 person who will consider your collection "top notch". If this turns into a competition you will go nuts and possibly broke, divorced, disgruntled...

My collection is kinda all over the place, I have some rare stuff and some pairs that no one really cares about, but it's elite to me because I love every pair.
Yeah. Same. I'm with his Royal @foleyness!!! He sums up my sentiments exactly.

I dislike the shape of the hijinx, but there are some limited ones that I bought because it's nice to also have rare pairs in your collection.

Then there are the mag switches and jawbones which I really love, but really aren't that "elite" per se.

@BriP, I disagree that you necessarily must have multiples to make a collection "elite". If any of us owned a carbon C-six and a pair of frogskins, I think we'd safely classify our collection as "elite"!!! (And one person here already had 6 pairs and likely working on his 7th!!!).

X-metal beast has some amazing one off customs and complete mint high end pairs that put his collection in the "elite" class in my opinion and Romeovanfrogskinstein has very rare one off pieces.

Back