• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Makes a Model a Safehouse Exclusive?

Just seen the @tigbball5 's pair of Fast Jackets that have Safehouse colorway, but also have a prizm lens without etching and prizm bag. Those I have also seen for sale on ebay and I believe they were given to the Oakley reps around 2015 to present prizm technology.

Probably once again Oakley made some use of the Safehouse frames that they had left after 2012.

As for the colors I should have mentioned that safehouse colors were never available through custom or in regular pairs, altough some of them are very close to the normal colors. Like the safehouse matte red is very close to regular infrared colorway, dark green is possibly the same shade as team green, but safehouse color is matte so you could never get the exact same pair in custom. Other safehouse colors were even more unique, like the celeste pair, etc.

@Rcga32 is the fluorescent green Radar posted, I can't quite place it to one of the greens posted in the original photo... are they an example of the 2014 Sochi Green pairs you noted?

As for the colors I should have mentioned that safehouse colors were never available through custom or in regular pairs, altough some of them are very close to the normal colors. Like the safehouse matte red is very close to regular infrared colorway, dark green is possibly the same shade as team green, but safehouse color is matte so you could never get the exact same pair in custom. Other safehouse colors were even more unique, like the celeste pair, etc.
Holy Schnikes! All the info you provided is very much appreciated!!

I came across this video not long ago, which is what striked up my interest in what makes a safehouse a safehouse. I wasn't sure if the term was strictly associated with Radars or if other models could be 'safehouse' examples,
as they show fast jackets an you can see a bunch of Jawbone uppers in one clip...

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 12.10.32 PM.png

An from the colors shown the Grey/Green Jawbones @the_owl shared certainly seem to match up with the Safehouse color pallet of options, plus they have the exclusive VR50 Ruby lenses you mentioned.

While you noted that you didn't see any athletes wearing the JB or RJ, would that pertain specifically to the Olympics?... Or are you speaking in general terms, as in athletes have their own custom colors that are slightly different from Safehouse colors for their own use? If the later, would it be safe to say the Racing Jackets @BoostBear shared are one of those... because they don't seem to quite match up with any of the colors in safehouse pallet I posted, but they are matte in color?

@Rcga32 is the fluorescent green Radar posted, I can't quite place it to one of the greens posted in the original photo... are they an example of the 2014 Sochi Green pairs you noted?

Yeah that bottom Radar is like the Sochi Green.

I do also have an actual Sochi Radarlock and the color is very similar.

Holy Schnikes! All the info you provided is very much appreciated!!

I came across this video not long ago, which is what striked up my interest in what makes a safehouse a safehouse. I wasn't sure if the term was strictly associated with Radars or if other models could be 'safehouse' examples,
as they show fast jackets an you can see a bunch of Jawbone uppers in one clip...

View attachment 625514

An from the colors shown the Grey/Green Jawbones @the_owl shared certainly seem to match up with the Safehouse color pallet of options, plus they have the exclusive VR50 Ruby lenses you mentioned.

While you noted that you didn't see any athletes wearing the JB or RJ, would that pertain specifically to the Olympics?... Or are you speaking in general terms, as in athletes have their own custom colors that are slightly different from Safehouse colors for their own use? If the later, would it be safe to say the Racing Jackets @BoostBear shared are one of those... because they don't seem to quite match up with any of the colors in safehouse pallet I posted, but they are matte in color?

What are they dipping the temple arms in? It looks like some kind of oil or lubricant. I just use mild soap and it works fine.

@narplife

Maybe it was just availability of the JW/RJ frames - maybe they didn't make too many Safehouse Racing Jackets. But generally speaking aparat from the mountain bike use the Radarlocks were much more popular amongst cyclists, runners and other sports around 2011-2014 than the Racing Jackets so I guess they didn't prepare too many safehouse JW/RJ for the event.

Overall I think that they have made more frames for the London Olympics and after the event they have distributed some of those frames that were left amongst employees, various competitions etc. But they were created for the london olympics event in the first place.

I don't know where the @BoostBear 's RJ fits here. It's not a safehouse color. If it came out of factory in that paint I'd guess it's a custom Oakley job one-off or some small series given away to athletes, but it certainly is not a safehouse pair.

@narplife

Maybe it was just availability of the JW/RJ frames - maybe they didn't make too many Safehouse Racing Jackets. But generally speaking aparat from the mountain bike use the Radarlocks were much more popular amongst cyclists, runners and other sports around 2011-2014 than the Racing Jackets so I guess they didn't prepare too many safehouse JW/RJ for the event.

Overall I think that they have made more frames for the London Olympics and after the event they have distributed some of those frames that were left amongst employees, various competitions etc. But they were created for the london olympics event in the first place.

I don't know where the @BoostBear 's RJ fits here. It's not a safehouse color. If it came out of factory in that paint I'd guess it's a custom Oakley job one-off or some small series given away to athletes, but it certainly is not a safehouse pair.
You're right, they don't quite match up with any of the safehouse colors, its close to the bright matte green (in front of white frame in 1st image) but not quite there.

I speculate they were made for an athlete, an these just happen to be left overs from them as the color isn't like any public color I'd come across (jupiter camo jawbone is kind of close but not quite), also the lenses are ice polarized vented which I don't recall being publically sold I'd only found solid polar. I have a friend who's supposed to ask around at HQ to see if they can figure out what their origins are as they aren't sure themselves, so fingers crossed something comes of it.

What are they dipping the temple arms in? It looks like some kind of oil or lubricant. I just use mild soap and it works fine.
In another safehouse video the camera man asked the rep how they got the socks on so easily. He said they typically use warm water + hand soap, but rubbing alcohol also works. So either of those is my best answer.

There's also a small little dish where he dipped the tip in, but I have no idea what was in there... since I've only seen those containers used to store concentrates...
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 12.37.01 AM.png

Latest Posts

Back