• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What makes a rare set of Juliet's? How do you determine rarity

StewBme

Oakley Beginner
My Dad bought a pair of X-Metal Juliet Polished with Fire Polarized lenses 04-119 brand new in the storeabout 10 years ago. Never really wore them, he turned them over to me and I'm struggling to understand what I have. Are these some crazy, can't ever find piece of fate?????? I read people on this site drooling over X-metals and wonder if my set is "drool worthy :) All original packaging and rubber but no coin. Top to bottom, absolutely flawless.

Anyhow, the pair have a serial number of JP008271. Are these rare? What makes a pair of Juliet's rare? I understand newer ones don't have serial numbers but is older better?

I posted them over on the valuation thread but haven't heard from anyone. Should I be holding onto these for one day to include in the Smithsonian, consider them for daily wear or cash in on the fortunate situation?

It's a good pair. Not exactly rare, but sough after due to the hammer stems. Rarity is generally associated with limited pairs or first generation pairs. Serial number pairs are preferred but usually not a deal breaker.

You are looking at $300 imo, perhaps more on Ebay with a .99 auction start.

Wear them!

In my opinion any X Metal (except maybe the Half X) is drool-worthy. We get a bit over-exposed seeing them constantly on the forum, but 99% of people in the real world wouldn't know them from a pair of Ray Bans.

If your pair is older, mint in box it can increase the value significantly. The older pairs had different boxes I believe, and were also marked with the serial. In this case I think buying the right coin to go with it for $30 or however much would more than pay for itself by "completing" the package and making it worth top dollar if you were to sell.

In my opinion? They're from your dad. If they fit you well then wear the **** out of them. A well worn pair with personal history sitting on your shelf is worth infinitely more than a pair that just sits on your shelf. In a few years you'll look at the shades. The former pair will stir memories and emotions, recounting their history. The latter you'll be bothered by the dust they've collected.

I don't know, maybe that's just me. I don't buy things for the sake of being pretty.

Wear them!

In my opinion any X Metal (except maybe the Half X) is drool-worthy. We get a bit over-exposed seeing them constantly on the forum, but 99% of people in the real world wouldn't know them from a pair of Ray Bans.

If your pair is older, mint in box it can increase the value significantly. The older pairs had different boxes I believe, and were also marked with the serial. In this case I think buying the right coin to go with it for $30 or however much would more than pay for itself by "completing" the package and making it worth top dollar if you were to sell.

In my opinion? They're from your dad. If they fit you well then wear the **** out of them. A well worn pair with personal history sitting on your shelf is worth infinitely more than a pair that just sits on your shelf. In a few years you'll look at the shades. The former pair will stir memories and emotions, recounting their history. The latter you'll be bothered by the dust they've collected.

I don't know, maybe that's just me. I don't buy things for the sake of being pretty.

Well said but there is a steady stream of the "cash in" crowd, at the end of the day those that sell them and make the "$300" are going to spend it on something that will be long gone sooner than a pair of X-Metals.

Appreciate the comments. I posted to eBay tonight ar original purchase price and still can't find the coin. Sentimental value is negligible. They fit me but I tend to wear glasses for sport and these just don't have enough lens to shade for my personal comfort. Picked up a new pair of baseball Oakleys so this will hopefully pay them off.

Wear them!

That, my friend, was beautiful. And reflects my sentiments pretty much exactly!!

Pretty sure he didn't take @Rustpot 's advice. He said he would sell them on eBay....and then possibly left Oakley Forum (given that he's got 5 posts to his name since 2013!!). It's a pity. If there are any pairs of sunglasses which will stand (and have stood) the test of time in terms of being wearable, fashionable, functional and resilient, you'd have to say that the Juliets meet that bill unlike other heirlooms from the previous generation such as skinny/bellbottom jeans, a hipster beard or a double breasted jacket!!

Pretty sure he didn't take @Rustpot 's advice. He said he would sell them on eBay....and then possibly left Oakley Forum (given that he's got 5 posts to his name since 2013!!). It's a pity. If there are any pairs of sunglasses which will stand (and have stood) the test of time in terms of being wearable, fashionable, functional and resilient, you'd have to say that the Juliets meet that bill unlike other heirlooms from the previous generation such as skinny/bellbottom jeans, a hipster beard or a double breasted jacket!!
I concur. I'm sure his new pair of "baseball Oakleys" are still serving him so perfectly now......NOT!