• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What makes X-Metals so special

To me it's a statement against consumerism, controlled obsolescence, and disposable products in general. I was once told by the owner of a pair of juliets that he accidentally ran over them with his nissan pathfinder and found them almost unscathed. One pair sold on ebay was found by a scuba diver, having apparently endured years of salt water immersion without damage. I do engineering for a living and consider myself a nerd, so it also seems fitting that I wear accessories made from 5553 titanium assembled with rivets and screws. I also like that they look like a prop from fallout.

latest?cb=20081229142345.jpg

I'm convinced that the same guy who designed the x-metal line used to be an artist at Bethesda.

so it also seems fitting that I wear accessories made from 5553 titanium assembled with rivets and screws.

Are you saying that this this the composition of X Metal or you wear other accessories made from this. Just curious.

It's just a guess. I don't remember where I happened upon the list of several elements used in X-Metal, I think it was in some oakley marketing literature. 5553 had all of the listed ingredients, is used in investment castings, and has been used in orthopedics. I'm sure there are several other alloys that fit the bill however.

Well I'm checking out a pair of Juliet's tomorrow. He said he dropped them on original lenses so he replaced with Oakley green lenses, years ago. So I guess I get to see how special they are.

Well I'm checking out a pair of Juliet's tomorrow. He said he dropped them on original lenses so he replaced with Oakley green lenses, years ago. So I guess I get to see how special they are.

I think your going to be impressed. I had numerous Oakley's as a kid, then made the leap to a set of Penny's. They were the best pair of glasses I had ever owned. I feel the thing about the x metal is they stand out from all other Oakley and competing brands, they are unique to Oakley. When I see some one wearing a pair I never have to say, hmmmm wonder what those are, I just know it's a rare piece of Oakley genius. I ended up selling my penny's years later and regret it all the time. Hope to get another pair soon. Good luck with the Juliets, like I said, I think you'll be impressed.

Back