• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What to look for in a Jeweler / Watch repair

bean323

Oakley Expert
so cal
Hi.. the only real jewelers i see are at my mall. I imagine for basic stuff like removing batteries and links that should be ok, yea?
Or do i want to find some guy name Olaf or Svede to do these minor things in the event someday i need to go back and get something done more then normal?

What should i look for? Never had an expensive watch and would like to get the ones i have cleaned up also, just not sure if a Mall shop is a bad idea. (i spent this much on the watch.. might as well keep spending..) lol.

Sure i will have more questions. thanks!

As far as a jeweler, I avoid the mall stores. They have a lot of overhead costs and those get passed on to you.

Go to yelp! and search for family owned jewelry stores local to your area.

Also look to see who is authorized by the manufacturer.

For diamonds, I would purchase online. Check out niceice.com

For watch repair look for a store with a AWCI certified Watchmaker in house.
A certified Watchmaker should have all the proper equipment to pressure test a watch case, which should always be done after a watch case has been opened for any reason.
The last thing you want is moisture inside your timepiece.

Typically when it comes to repair on luxury items like jewelry and watches, you get what you pay for.
If you have high end pieces you probably don't want to go to a mall kiosk, on the other hand it wouldn't make financial sense to take costume jewelry / cheap watch to a certified professional, the repair could cost more than the value of the items.

Here is s link to the AWCI website, it should help you find someone in your area qualified to work on your timepiece.

American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute - Public

lol.. but for just sizing or removing links a reputable jeweler should be able to? i totally get the certified ones.. good idea.. looking now

lol.. but for just sizing or removing links a reputable jeweler should be able to? i totally get the certified ones.. good idea.. looking now

Really anyone with a set of screwdrivers or a set of pin pushers can size a watch bracelet, the trick is doing it without causing damage to the links, screws, or pins.

thanks again to everyone who chimed in. Just requires research. No one close to me but how often would i need all that..

Back