• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What would YOU do, if you suddenly needed "real" glasses? :-)

I'm gonna throw in my .02 here. I do not have a large collection amassed, and have worn my X Metal XX almost every day since I got it from the @Litos in 2017. I had an eye exam in Sept 2019 that indicated I needed glasses. I spent a good 3 months in denial and kept trying to find an angle where my sunglasses could still exist. Reticently, I picked up a couple of pairs of Oakley RX frames and shelved my sunglasses for the better part of a year. I tried to find a way to avoid eyeglasses, mostly bc I loved my sunglasses that much, but after seeing my optometrist, I decided to just wear them full time. Last year, after wearing eyeglasses most of the time, I went and got fitted for contacts. When you look at the cost of ~$350-400/rx lense set vs the cost of contacts, upkeep products, and such it ends up about equal. In my case, I use Alcon Dailies for Astigmatism. The day I got contacts was freeing. All of my Oakley shades made it back to rotation. I still wear my X metal XX daily now. You can ask @Chris A Hardaway I was freaking out. He has been instrumental in helping to find my best route and actually has better options than my eye dr's office did. It's $$ out of your pocket, which sucks, but with contacts, you can keep your x metals on your face where they belong. I could pay for Lasik, but the reality is having vision problems that were untreated for so long, I need my Rx to balance and steady before I even consider having a correction made permanent(ish).

I can very confidently recommend RJ as a counselor on the best options for you. I always have good things to say about him bc he is truly one of the most honest, genuine, and considerate folks on here. Mf changed my life. ;)

Depending on just how severe and the kind of vision loss it is, the next most drastic option is cataract surgery if Lasik is not an option. My grandmother had that done and her vision now is 20/20 and clear.

Doesn't matter about the aging from that point because the entire lens is removed from the eye and replaced with a new lens (which course also has a serial number lasered into it, so if you end up dead in a ditch somewhere, they have that means to ID you).

While surgery is risky, it would also mean my eyes would have to be so bad to a point that prescriptions aren't going to make it much better.

Depending on just how severe and the kind of vision loss it is, the next most drastic option is cataract surgery if Lasik is not an option. My grandmother had that done and her vision now is 20/20 and clear.

Doesn't matter about the aging from that point because the entire lens is removed from the eye and replaced with a new lens (which course also has a serial number lasered into it, so if you end up dead in a ditch somewhere, they have that means to ID you).

While surgery is risky, it would also mean my eyes would have to be so bad to a point that prescriptions aren't going to make it much better.
But LASIK have noting to do with cataract , right?

lasik is to improve your vision , the other is surgery to remove a disease of the eyes?

But LASIK have noting to do with cataract , right?

lasik is to improve your vision , the other is surgery to remove a disease of the eyes?
Sort of the same thing they both impact the lens, Lasik using a laser/cutting tool to change the shape of the front of the existing lens, lens replacement isn't just for cataract (though a common reason), and the diseased lens can either be discolored, foggy, or misshaped (more so than Lasik could fix). The only thing the example of cataract brings to the table that Lasik usually can't fix, is the discoloration or cloudiness.

Sort of the same thing they both impact the lens, Lasik using a laser/cutting tool to change the shape of the front of the existing lens, lens replacement isn't just for cataract (though a common reason), and the diseased lens can either be discolored, foggy, or misshaped (more so than Lasik could fix). The only thing the example of cataract brings to the table that Lasik usually can't fix, is the discoloration or cloudiness.
, but LASIK can't fix cataract right? how could it, to fix that, your whole lens have to be removed and replaced with an artificial one.

i don't see how you can put Lasik and cataract surgery in the same sentence.

, but LASIK can't fix cataract right? how could it, to fix that, your whole lens have to be removed and replaced with an artificial one.

i don't see how you can put Lasik and cataract surgery in the same sentence.
What exactly is your point? I'm just saying if my vision changed (for ANY number of reasons) those would be my options that I would consider before trying to RX an entire collection.

I need Rx too. I just wear contact lenses for usually 5-6 days per week and then wear prescription glasses (and a pair of Rx Oakley sunglasses) the other 1-2 days per week.

What exactly is your point? I'm just saying if my vision changed (for ANY number of reasons) those would be my options that I would consider before trying to RX an entire collection.
What exactly is your point with this: Depending on just how severe and the kind of vision loss it is, the next most drastic option is cataract surgery if Lasik is not an option.

Because if you need cataract surgery, you need cataract surgery, that have noting to do with Lasik, glasses or contacts, which was the point of this thread.

Last edited:
What exactly is your point with this: Depending on just how severe and the kind of vision loss it is, the next most drastic option is cataract surgery if Lasik is not an option.

Because if you need cataract surgery, you need cataract surgery, that have noting to do with Lasik, glasses or contacts, which was the point of this thread.
You stated a hypothetical question of what people would do, I listed what I would do in each instance including one of the worse case-but-potentially-correctable. You're getting your panties in a twist over nothing.

Latest Posts

Back