• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What would you do with a still sealed boxed X Metal?

That's me when i was looking for a girl to marry. I had to test it before i bought it
1685556549141.png

I 100% agree with this statement... I have received X metals that were stored in the bag and lived in a deteriorated box for years. There is nothing positive about it. The only way a sealed X metal is going to make it in that box sealed and unscathed is if you can be 100% for sure it was store in a 0% humidity environment... Not 1% but 0%. Any moisture in the air is absorbed by the foam because that is what foam is designed to do. Anyone who has seen a meltdown of the foam onto the product knows these few things #1 the paperwork gets destroyed #2 it gets through the bag and onto the lenses and discolors the iridium rendering the precious lenses useless even after cleaning, and #3 it gets on the X Metal finish and stains them leaving slight discoloration. This is especially true of the early models where the finish oxidizes more easily. After I opened the Crater I felt without doubt I had saved this pair from that fate. This pair came out of Colorado to which is a semi desert region so the humidity was not even that bad where it was stored. I can only imagine if it had been in the Southeast or other more humid environments. What it comes down to is Oakleys poor choice of material by using the foam to protect the glasses in shipment. It was a novel idea at the time without thought of the long term.
I still have a foam intact but I was thinking about putting something else since I am worried. You have some ideas what material could last and not disintegrate and serve as a protection?

1st of all take them out of box, and wear them (or sell them to me). Then keep them in mf bag when not wearing, and inside a soft vault. The box, place inside one of those gallon size Ziploc bags, squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag, and keep it in there "sealed", until you sell them (to me).

I really don't get the "buy amazing sunglasses, and never wear them to preserve them forever" thing, but that's just me. What I do understand is the "buy amazing sunglasses, never wear them, and preserve them in pristine condition, to then sell to X-Metal Beast for him to wear the fck out of mint condition like new sunglasses some day" thing
Actually this is not my case. I have one that I wear and one that is spare for my daughter when she is a big girl. I wanted to save them for her in the pristine condition. That's all. Not for sale. :D

So let's see who will back up what they said because the guy I got mine from has two more... he posted one on eBay but I have his email and he is doing G&S $1250 shipped if you get to him before it starts getting bids. Sealed in box and mint. If you want one PM me and I will connect you to him...

Back