• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What would you do with a still sealed boxed X Metal?

XxRuMKaxX

I Should Work at M-Experiment
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
So I never thought I would ever be confronted with this before but here I was the other day admiring an absolute perfect Crater with a seal that was still attached and a virgin pair of sunglasses that had seen only darkness for the past two decades. I tried to imagine what they looked like in there and something just told me that I should break the seal. I took some pictures and documented the opening and then did the honors. It turned out to be a good call because as my fears suspected the thin part of the foam on the bottom had disintegrated and made the micro soft bag sticky and hard where it had contact. There was debri all over the bag so when I pulled the glasses out a little got on one lens which was fine... I just soaked it with Oakley cleaner and dabbed it off softly... I feel had I just kept this box sealed another 10 years it would have been worse deterioration and even gotten to the glasses and stained them and the lenses. We have seen what a full meltdown has done to some glasses right? So the question that lingers in my mind is did I pay an extra $300 for the privilege of opening them or is this still a very special mint and perfect matching serial Crater and worth every penny because perfect is rare period and a strong word to use in this hobby. As far as the box went the thick parts of the foam was sticky but intact still so I carefully cleaned the bottom out and the papers and rubber pieces and then threw 3 silica bags in the box and closed it all back up. My experience has been that this dries out the foam but I live in a low humidity environment anyway so foam inserts do well up here. Note though that this Crater came from a semi dry climate so its not like it was in the florida heat and humidity for all those years. Just kinda wanting to know what others think ... In the end I am 100% happy with them and finally a pair I will never part with being that its the only pair I own that has only seen my head and I got to open it.

I would have kept it close and then buy a wear pair. The glasses would be fine especially if it was in the micro bag.

I’m curious did the frames match both serials on the label (printed on bottom and handwritten on side)?

I would have kept it close and then buy a wear pair. The glasses would be fine especially if it was in the micro bag.

I’m curious did the frames match both serials on the label (printed on bottom and handwritten on side)?
Im not so sure the hand written serial boxes were meant to have a printed serial as well… why would they make a spot to hand write it if they did?

Back