• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Would YOU Train O Store Employees On?

OBlazer

Oakley Expert
I have seen in a couple different threads that a few of our members have been disappointed with some of the O Store associates knowledge on Oakley product. Out of curiosity, if you were given the opportunity to train these employees, what would be the first aspects of the O that you would make sure they knew?

Examples might include:
Knowledge of each lens' light transmission
in depth knowledge of ANSI testing
Thorough knowledge of past product

You get the idea

The #1 thing that I would "teach" would be the passion for the brand. It is supremely lacking everywhere I've been. If they have passion for the brand, everything else takes care of itself.

ie - if someone is into the brand and I walk in wearing my Art Chantry Hijinx, they will say "sweet shades, which ones are those?" They will then know and remember for later. They will also get me talking and getting excited about Oakley. I don't think any of us hardcore collectors expect a 17 year old kid to know what we know about sunglasses discontinued before they were born.

If someone doesn't have the passion, you could spend a lifetime teaching all the product knowledge, but it won't be retained.

well said. also, focus on what suits to customer's use. no use pushing a runner to buy fast jackets that would bounce around in their noses, when you can sell them flak jackets which are perfect for the job- in the end if you an advise them the pair that suits perfectly to their needs, thats quite critical.

I think just a little history as well. Show them some of the older stuff. Where the brand came from. Why people should buy it.

And I agree about the passion. I think I actually got some employees more into it the last time I was at a vault just because I'm so passionate about it

It's so interesting to go into the store during a weekday and talk to the full time employees and managers. they do tend to have some passion for the brand and so knowledge on the history or Oakley. However you go in on a weekend the part time 17 year old kids don't know the product, the brand, or any of the history.

Just curiosity what stores have yall been too, because the three stores I have been to in NC have kicked ass Concord, Mebane, and Raleigh? Then the one in Richmond VA has been awesome too.

agree with oakster.. i would also train them to identify fake ones by just looking at them. maybe difficult when it comes to some pairs but its annoying if you come in a store and an employee would tell you... "those are fake right?".....

I would train them to know their product. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into an O store, asked where they keep certain current models, and they just look at me like I have three heads. Some are so bad, that i bet if I asked them for Wayfarers, they would probably start searching.

Back