• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Whats Going On In The World Of Frogskins?

Well if you are being serious I would have to respectfully disagree and point out that that is your opinion. I don't like how holbrooks look either, but Oakley sales say that they are pretty darn popular. Same can be said of frogskins for some people, idk if that doesn't make them "cool". I don't think Oakley makes a pair of sunglasses that aren't "cool"!

Well if you are being serious I would have to respectfully disagree and point out that that is your opinion. I don't like how holbrooks look either, but Oakley sales say that they are pretty darn popular. Same can be said of frogskins for some people, idk if that doesn't make them "cool". I don't think Oakley makes a pair of sunglasses that aren't "cool"!
It's kind of a running joke between Frogskins and I. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Ok, I apologize then, I missed the memo (I usually do!). It just bothers me sometimes when people say they don't like a certain frame for one reason or another and then apply absolute statements to them. It could make others feel less about their own collections or what they like in Oakley sunglasses. To each his own as they say!

And you need to throw a laugh or two in there, or maybe one of those smiley faces haha. But hey your just a blackhawks fan, nobody is perfect hehe!

Agreed, a lot of the collabs have been boring. There need to be some new releases that are a little more special. I would say the last cool collab was the Rag & Bones White Camo.

One series that was pretty popular was the fade series. There were some good pairs in there. I wouldn't mind seeing a return with new colorways. Even if I liked the summit series because it was simple, the problem was that it was simple. Most of the pairs I have bought this year have been older ones. Once a couple interesting pairs come out, maybe we will see the Frogskins market improve.

I suppose the Rag and Bone White did indeed come after the Kabu Kazo and Skate Deck.
Things have been so bleak on the Frogskins front, I'm not even paying that close attention to the release timeline anymore.
On prices, I came across people trying to lowball $200 for NIB Supreme Frogskins.
Goodness gracious!

I suppose the Rag and Bone White did indeed come after the Kabu Kazo and Skate Deck.
Things have been so bleak on the Frogskins front, I'm not even paying that close attention to the release timeline anymore.
On prices, I came across people trying to lowball $200 for NIB Supreme Frogskins.
Goodness gracious!
Yeah, you can nab some pairs for cheap now, but there are some that don't drop nearly as much.

As for releases, I am looking forward to seeing the next Heritage ones. The Fall Out collection seemed cool until they announced the prices. I think $200 for the bronze decay is just too much for them. I can find better pairs for less. Most new collabs are just a black from with something etched on the lens. Bring back the neat colorways like the entire Supreme collab or other similar ones. I recently picked up some SE Bikes ones...I absolutely love them.

When the gen 3 was initiated in 2007 it was essentially to reissue some of the original pairs under the banner of 'Collectors Frogskins', and release them in limited quantities. The evolution of this generation created a sense that you had to have them all, to maintain the collection, which lead to a building demand for the rarest pairs, resulting in fierce competition thus large sums changing hands. The trend continued whilst Oakley produced pair after pair after pair, some easy to find, some impossible. It then reached the stage where no one, not one single collector, could possibly have the complete collection. Continued multiple releases occurred whilst there was a drop in demand, at least regarding the big money paid for the premier rarities. It appears though that most, if not all known pairs at least can be documented, so there is a plausible limit, however that boundary has grown so large that is has become too big a universe in itself for most collectors to achieve a big enough slice of the cake to want to keep on trying to walk through water. Since most collectors like sets and complete collections, it has become a minefield enough that the aim could become toned down to just collect certain pieces...complete Fade, Acid, Koston etc, but to ignore others, especially where similar items get released. It could be considered that the 3rd gen was the most collected frame of all time, the insane demand more than for any other model, and it is now a comparison to this that the current interest is measured. Frogskins continue though, with most codes being 03 or 24 there is now a new sku, OO9013, with numbers so far set up to 36!!! so, 36 new pairs due out! more fuel to make you give up! Who knows what the sales have been like for the 'normal' issues of the last couple of years whilst the 'collecting' demand has dropped, versus the sales of regular releases in the early years during high demand? This could determine the continuation, the 'casual' buyer may still be sparking the desire for Oakley to keep the fire going. Many of the copious releases ranging from 1 - 200 made seldom surface now, and regardless of demand some pairs are so rare there is minimal chance to acquire them, so for many pieces all it needs is one to surface and the odds are you will still have to empty your wallet or make a big trade. I aim to extend my 190 pair collection of them as the appeal of their wacky nature, childlike personality, vibrant colours, interesting collaborations, and the way they are geared for collecting, and the associated monster rarity, are attributes motivating me to keep it up. Bear in mind also Oakley have broadened the model to LX, LX Asian Fit, and 3rd gen Asian Fit, which suggests a commercial interest is prevalent.We as collectors may assume the demand has dropped but the Oakley accounts may suggest a different story.

Yeah, you can nab some pairs for cheap now, but there are some that don't drop nearly as much.

As for releases, I am looking forward to seeing the next Heritage ones. The Fall Out collection seemed cool until they announced the prices. I think $200 for the bronze decay is just too much for them. I can find better pairs for less. Most new collabs are just a black from with something etched on the lens. Bring back the neat colorways like the entire Supreme collab or other similar ones. I recently picked up some SE Bikes ones...I absolutely love them.
I agree with you that the entire FallOut (FO) series has been priced ridiculously.
And amen also on the black plus etching mantra that has pretty much become background noise, i.e., tuned-out.

I think alot of people may feel a little let down by Oakley.
The Collectors Frogskins were released in relatively limited numbers and marketed as the last of the style, then came more colourways, more "limited" releases and so on. I don't think as many people are as passionate about their Oakley eyewear as they used to be and I truly believe it has alot to do with Oakley releasing these mass release "limited" edition, only to release something very similar afew months later. Basically making the fan purchase the same thing over and over with very little changes.

I think alot of people may feel a little let down by Oakley.
The Collectors Frogskins were released in relatively limited numbers and marketed as the last of the style, then came more colourways, more "limited" releases and so on. I don't think as many people are as passionate about their Oakley eyewear as they used to be and I truly believe it has alot to do with Oakley releasing these mass release "limited" edition, only to release something very similar afew months later. Basically making the fan purchase the same thing over and over with very little changes.
Very well put.
If I recall correctly, it was some time around the Acids or SW 24k releases when this "duped customer" phenomenon significantly came to light.
Perhaps a tide turning indicator of the Lux effect over Oakley?