• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's more important...Frames or Lenses?

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Just thought I'd throw this out there for opinions and for fun...What's more important to you...frames or lenses?

Frames = Materials used, build quality, colorways, designs, function, collections, etc?

Lenses = Materials used, build quality, colors, functions, etc?

Personally, I chose Oakley first for their lens quality. My good friend is a eyewear rep, and he told me years ago that Oakley had the best lenses on the market. My friend doesn't sell cheap brands either, so I took his opinion to heart...especially after I had seen him purchase O's for his personal use. Finding frame styles that I like and that suit/fit me well is just as important, but a close second to the lenses. Besides, owning O's is cool :cool:, and I LIKE being :cool:!!! Hehehehe!

Good question. For me, the first thing I want to know when I buy a pair of sunglasses is does the frame suit me? It doesn't matter what the lens is, if the frame looks stupid on me I'm not going to walk around looking like a douche just because the lenses are good.

If I have an Oakley frame then I always prefer to get an Oakley lens.

Good thread.......Quality of lenses are so important as they protect two of the most valuable pieces of equipment you own. The frame only holds the lens in place BUT it's the style of the frame that makes the look complete. One only really works with the other. You can have a naff looking frame & it doesn't matter about the quality of the lens as the look just won't work. So i'd say they go hand in hand. The only time i don't wear my O's is if i'm on holiday in the pool as i have a cheep pair of Bloc's instead so if the lenses are damaged I haven't lost much but as soon as i'm out of the water the O's go on. We are lucky with Oakley as usually they are both equal. :cool:

i agree with Oakley_Sight. no point having a cool looking frame but having crappy lenses to look thru and vice-versa. So i would say, it works best both ways, cool frame + great lenses.

The lenses to me are more important. Safety and comfort are very important to me. I haven't owned any other high-dollar glasses, but I know Oakleys give me the comfort I need when out in bright light. I also know the lenses will protect my eyes from just about anything short of a direct gun shot.

I've taken ricocheting bullets fragments to the face before. Some felt like a bee sting, some felt like a punch. Never hit my glasses, but the chance is still there and I know Oakleys are rated to protect me and go beyond standard impact ratings.

Plus they look cool.

I feel that both go hand in hand also, but I suppose when it really comes down to it, the purpose for which they will serve are what really determines importance. Such as in Rustpot's case, lenses are obviously important if ricocheting bullet fragments are flying at your face :eek:. Or if you're Jennifer Aniston (Horrible Bosses), with food particles flying off of patients' teeth and at your face :laugh:.

I think in most applications (outside of work and safety), Oakley's are chosen for their total package...style and quality. But again, if I really had to choose what's more important, I'd still choose Oakley's because of their lenses (just slightly over the frames). But just as jk-27 said..."if the frame looks stupid on me I'm not going to walk around looking like a douche just because the lenses are good." LOL! Btw, I have never purchased O's for any type of work application, mine are all for recreational purposes :cool:.

It's a wonderful thing that Oakley exudes the best of both worlds...style and function!!!

To me both are equally as important. If you have a frame that is good but crappy lenses then that not a good pair of glasses to use. But if you have a pair with crappy frames and good lenses I feel that wouldn't be a good pair to wear either. That is why I like Oakley so much. Their lenses are the best I have used and I love the style of almost all frames hole some don't look good on me they all look amazing

They are both important. If I were to put a hierarchy on them, I would go with the frame first as you can usually get an Oakley replacement lens. Over the summer I purchased two Antix frames (History Text and Sebastian Loeb) off of FleaBay...knowing that I can get an Oakley replacement lens for them. It was the frames that I was after over the particular "stock" lens that they originally came with.

Back