• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Whats the best movement in Oakley watch (non auto)

• Thread starter Barfly
  • Start date
B

Barfly

Hi all

Im a big fan of the Oakley watches, because I love the design and quality of the visible materials
But can anyone offer any facts on the inner quality of these - I googled it online but very little comes up

So - which of their non-automatic watches have the best movement and why?

Tks!

The early Oakley watches used Japanese Seiko movements. When they switched to Swiss movements, they used Ronda. Among the various Ronda movements they've used, you'd have to dive pretty deep to define which is "best", IMO.

How many jewels a movement has isn't a very good gauge of quality; the jewels are used as low-friction bearings and movements with more complications may require more, but that doesn't make them better.

Some have gold-plated movements (HP, MM, others), which has the practical function of increased corrosion resistance. But still that's a fine distinction.

Big picture, the mass-produced Swiss Ronda movements are pretty common; there aren't any high-end movements in Oakley watches. They justify their inflated MSRPs with the designs, of which the value is subjective.

@shofzr and / or @Carrera1963 might have more to say.

The early Oakley watches used Japanese Seiko movements. When they switched to Swiss movements, they used Ronda. Among the various Ronda movements they've used, you'd have to dive pretty deep to define which is "best", IMO.

How many jewels a movement has isn't a very good gauge of quality; the jewels are used as low-friction bearings and movements with more complications may require more, but that doesn't make them better.

Some have gold-plated movements (HP, MM, others), which has the practical function of increased corrosion resistance. But still that's a fine distinction.

Big picture, the mass-produced Swiss Ronda movements are pretty common; there aren't any high-end movements in Oakley watches. They justify their inflated MSRPs with the designs, of which the value is subjective.

Thanks - thats very

Very helpful thanks - best answer out there- I agree some of their designs are top notch but premium price for that
I'm no expert but I am also a fan of affordable Seiko (sub 500) - and think these are in line with Oakley in quality but not design

Thanks - thats very

Very helpful thanks - best answer out there- I agree some of their designs are top notch but premium price for that
I'm no expert but I am also a fan of affordable Seiko (sub 500) - and think these are in line with Oakley in quality but not design

Actually, Japanese brands Seiko and Citizen have explored more technological innovation, both for movements and case / bracelet materials, than Oakley's watches. For example, my favorite Citizen is solar powered, can sync with all four of the global atomic clock signals, and the Ti band and case are made from a proprietary Ti alloy (they call "supertitanium") and has been treated with a proprietary hardening process (they call "duratect") which has allowed it to stand up to over a year of heavy daily use without a single scratch or mark; none of those technologies are in any Oakley watch...

But yes, their designs are more traditional.

This is my daily wearer,its been so good to me,and I love the fact it never needs battrys
download.jpg

Solar-powered Eco-Drive, along with Seiko kinetics like in the TB, still use batteries, only LiOn rechargeable ones (once they figured out capacitors were a fail)... ;)

They last much, much longer than normal watch batteries but still eventually wear out...

(yes I know that was a joke; my response was aimed at the Greater Audience... :rolleyes:)

EDIT - speaking of, I wore my stealth TB today just to give it some "normal usage" recharge; the plus with Eco-Drive is it can charge even when not wearing it, just needs light, even just lightbulb light...

"No I'm not waving my arm to simulate jerking 'it'; just charging the watch..." :D

Last edited:
Back