• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's the deal with VR28?

Is there a difference between VR28 black and VR28? My VR28 black in my King's Camo Flak Jackets are by far my favorite lenses right now. Just not sure if there are two different VR28's

Yes, VR28 Is a VR28 base lens (tends to be a semi rose tint at 28% light transmission I believe), VR28 Black is just that, same base lens with a Black iridium coating which drops the light transmission lower. Then you get VR28 Black Polar, which is even darker. I personally think it is the MOST underrated lens they make. The first one I put on ever was a Juliet VR28 Black and it was so clear and crisp. Just an amazing tint in my opinion.

VR28 = 28%
VR28 Black = 18%
VR28 Black Polar = 10%

VR28 Polarized is 16%

Oakley.com -> Innovation -> Optical Superiority -> Lens Tints. This gives you a pretty full list. There are some not on there, but the bulk of the retail lenses should be.

I absolutely love VR28. The only problem I have is that it's too lightly tinted for the really bright days (I have VR28 BIP for that), and it's still somewhat dark for indoor, cloudy, dusk, dull days. I wish they made VR50 more available for the sport frames.

Vr28 is the most versatile lens in my opinion. I use it for driving, biking, cross country skiing, etc. It's great since it's not too dark, yet it's not too light. Like others have said, the VR28 and the VR28 BI are pretty different. I think the Vr28 has much less of a mirror than the iridium, which would make sense. I haven't had too much experience with the non Black Iridium coated version, but it's probably just as good. The OO Black and Grey Polarized lenses are also like these.

Back