• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I had no idea what x metals were until I joined the forum. Joining the forum and looking through collections showed me the different options and styles of x metals. I wanted to start collecting and it seemed like everyone owned a x metal, so I thought I needed one for my collection. Upon purchasing my first x metal I was intrigued with the material, design, history and display/box that they came with.

I found a pair of Juliet's in the road back in 2009. Wore the hell out of them after getting some new lenses, fishing, golf, whatever. Never knew exactly what I had till I lost them and did some research to replace. A little too rich for me at the time. Now that I've got a little extra cash I've been surfing eBay and here looking for daily wear pairs, I don't need a box/coin. Figured Juliets would be my first pair as they seem to be plentiful and popular. Stumbled bass ackward into a pair of TiO2 XX that needed new lenses and rubbers. Then I picked up a pair of Plasma/Ice Juliet's from Jacob Carsten on the board. They seem smaller than I remember. My new plan is to add a pair of either Carbon or XMetal XS in Fire, R1, R2 and I might be done with my pursuit....

... Unless Oakley revisits the original XMetal material and releases some new designs that catch my eye.

I found a pair of Juliet's in the road back in 2009. Wore the hell out of them after getting some new lenses, fishing, golf, whatever. Never knew exactly what I had till I lost them and did some research to replace. A little too rich for me at the time. Now that I've got a little extra cash I've been surfing eBay and here looking for daily wear pairs, I don't need a box/coin. Figured Juliets would be my first pair as they seem to be plentiful and popular. Stumbled bass ackward into a pair of TiO2 XX that needed new lenses and rubbers. Then I picked up a pair of Plasma/Ice Juliet's from Jacob Carsten on the board. They seem smaller than I remember. My new plan is to add a pair of either Carbon or XMetal XS in Fire, R1, R2 and I might be done with my pursuit....

... Unless Oakley revisits the original XMetal material and releases some new designs that catch my eye.

Oh c'mon, you can't go that far along collecting examples of each x-metal then just quit; gotta get a Mars, Penny, and Half-X too... ;)

Oh c'mon, you can't go that far along collecting examples of each x-metal then just quit; gotta get a Mars, Penny, and Half-X too... ;)
Penny's are way too small. Half X is a maybe. Mars are a frame I do want, but they will be a target of opportunity, got to be in a mood to wear.

It's hard for me to pin the exact moment. I was always in to sunglasses as far back as I can remember, but had not really been a big Oakley fan after breaking a few pairs of original Eye Jackets. In 2008, a very helpful and knowledgeable SGH manager opened my eyes to the new O matter (1999+) and I bought my first Oakleys since the Eye Jackets. At the time, I remember seeing XS and Juliets at SGH circa 2009. I remember trying them on, then seeing the price tag, and thinking way too expensive. They were cool, but not that cool, geez. Fast forward to 2011 or 2012 at my local O store, a sales associate let me in on the fact that they had a few pair of Juliets and XS in stock, but they were discontinued. I bought a pair of XS, the went back a few days later and traded them for the Juliets. A decision I regret to this day. They were Carbon/OO BIP. I went back the very next day and decided I wanted to buy them back, and they told me they had already sold them. :headbang:. They had two Juliets left, and I bought another pair of the same Carbon/ BIP. I think it was at this point that the obsession set in. I called up Oakley and had them check to see if any XS were available in stock online. I had to get an XS again. Initially all the SKUs were empty, but when a savvy employee check in the empty SKU they found a pair of Carbon/BI for me that I ordered immediately. They still sit in my safe absolutely in mint unworn condition along with my first pair of Juliets. A while later I found this forum and lurked for a while til finally joining earlier this year. The rest is all down hill from there. That's my story.

The design is timeless...that and I saw it in Mission Impossible explode. Yah gotta have that exploding R1 with the virtual display screen.
cool - is there a youtube link of that scene or some kind of image you can post ??

I think the draw also is they just don't look or feel like any other sunglasses! and now there rare ,I've just done 2 weeks in Spain never saw another person wearing any lots of the plastic gang but no one rocking the metal.

I was always an Oakley fan. When they released the first Razor Blades back in 1986, I fell in love. Got my Pink / Black pair in 1987 and kept them till 2004 and let them go... in 1995 a pair of E Wires then changed to a pair of RX E Wires. Then in 1997 the R1s came out and I loved them! I was at Roger Clemens' house in Houston for work and I saw that he had a pair and talked about Oakley supporting RX for them. I asked if I could try them on... I was pretty skinny back then and they were too small for me.

I've always loved the trigger or hammerstem designs.

In 99 when they released the Juliet and XX, I decided I had to have a pair. I wanted a Juliet with an XX hammerstem but Oakley would not allow it. The XX was too big for me so I got myself a Gen1 Plasma Juliet. I still miss that pair to this day. in 2004 I visited Oakley HQ about the Gen1 Plasma finishe wearing out and dark spots forming. They offered me newer gen plasmas or even a polished frame if I wanted it. Well, here was my chance to get a hammerstem with the Juliets so I took it. I'm kicking myself for not buying up more polar ice lenses. I eventually sourced one.

I got a Mag M frame in 2004 and paused on all purchases until 2013 when I joined the forum. Then in 2013 I got a pair of XX, a pair of R1s. Last year I got a Tron PB1 and this year a second pair of XX. Now the R1 and XX fit me perfectly as I'm old and fatter! The Juliets look like Pennys on my face.

Always looking for more custom cut lenses to add to my collection!

Back