• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What’s the logic in selling this way?

Kingme

I am Jim Jannard...
Southern California
Not necessarily Sunglasses, but with anything. I’ve seen this on eBay and other places where the person has it at a price and it doesn’t sell for a long time. Rather than lowering the price, they raise the price. Do they think that it is going to make people want it more? Those who thought the price was already a bit high are now going to rush to buy it?

I don’t have a specific link. I’ve noticed this over the years. It’s not a high percentage of sellers that do this, maybe like 2%. Still, if there is a person here that does this. I’d like to know your thought process.

Also, if I I have an item saved or liked, I usually unlike it when they do this, because it gives me the impression that this person likes to play games.

games is my impression as well. Maybe they are not motivated and got an asking price offer which led them to believe that it was worth more so they re-listed. I usually avoid as well.

Where I see this most often is on Yahoo! auctions in Japan. It seems that items are relisted higher more often than not there 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where I see this most often is on Yahoo! auctions in Japan. It seems that items are relisted higher more often than not there 🤷🏻‍♂️
That happens a lot on Mercari too. The most blatant example I ever saw happened last week. Someone listed a pair of Mars for $300, someone bought it and the seller then canceled the order, he then relisted it for $525 and again canceled it. Then relisted it again for $680. -I was tempted to buy at $300, but These type of things happen to me on Mercari all the time, so I don’t buy anything over $100 there anymore. I also had a hunch the seller was going to do that.

That happens a lot on Mercari too. The most blatant example I ever saw happened last week. Someone listed a pair of Mars for $300, someone bought it and the seller then canceled the order, he then relisted it for $525 and again canceled it. Then relisted it again for $680. -I was tempted to buy at $300, but These type of things happen to me on Mercari all the time, so I don’t buy anything over $100 there anymore. I also had a hunch the seller was going to do that.
They have link that we could all report him for no intent to sell. That get his butt banned

I've seen sellers that have multiples of one item do something similar. They'll sell a bunch at one price, then as the quantity of what they're selling goes down, they start raising the price.

Back