• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wheel House clear frame: purple discoloration?

sculptor66

Oakley Beginner
Hello, I have a problem with my Oakley Wheel House RX frames in 'Polished Clear' (https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/product/W0OX8166?variant=888392468413). Mine are just about 4 weeks old and begin to develop a purple tint or discoloration.

The discoloration seems to be not just on the surface, because when I look through the thicker parts (for instance, from above through the endpieces or nosepads) the color is much more intense. When looking at the front or the back, the tint is more visible on the upper and lower end than on the sides, so it's obviously also not some 'natural' tint of the clear O Matter material. And when I got them, it was totally colorless.

The frame has _not_ been exposed to excessive sunlight. I have worn them only occasionaly in the sun and mostly after 4 pm.

Anyone with a similar experience? I want to refrain from going back to the store at the moment, because the tint is still very slight. But it would be good to know if this is a known problem and if the discoloration will increase over time (or disappear again?).

I'm not sure if the RX frames are made of a different material but I've never had a polished clear frame discolor.

The biggest issue I've had is that they get scuffed and lose their polish so easily that they look awful in pretty short order.

I'm not sure if the RX frames are made of a different material but I've never had a polished clear frame discolor.

The biggest issue I've had is that they get scuffed and lose their polish so easily that they look awful in pretty short order.
Thank you for your response. I've searched online for images of the frame and on some pics there is also this slight purple tint in certain areas. Mabye it's 'not a bug but a feature' – some kind of anti-yellowing agent. Purple is the complementary color of yellow, so in theory it could neutralize possible future yellowing.

Latest Posts

Back