• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

When First Starting Your Collection Do Boxes Matter?

lawman0210

Oakley Expert
When you have just a few pair and want to start a collection should you hold out and buy only ones with the boxes and such?
I have bought a few pair from SGH and Vault. Some give you boxes, some don't
What would you say is the cut off to be reasonable about the boxes? Is last 3 years buy only complete but be more lenant on 10 year old models without if you can get a good price?

Are you looking for these as some sort of investment for the future or are you just collecting? If you'd like them as an investment it's best to get the complete package.

Then if you are collecting just for you and don't care about getting the box or microbag then collect away....if you ever planned on selling them it's a little harder in my opinion to get a better price without it all. Some buyers reeeeaaaaally like to get it all.

I like to have it all and it doesn't matter whether it's a car, a gun or Oakley's.
Provenance matters to me and practically everything gets resold or traded at some point.

I would rather have everything. Though if it came down to it. It would only really matter if it was not a generic box. A example would be the Love Hate FC, that's a box that is important.

Value will always be better if it comes boxed with all the original paper work etc. Same with any collectable.

From the first pair I obtained in 1999 until now I have collected with the view that having the boxes for glasses to be of paramount importance. Not only that, but that the boxes should be as close to mint condition as possible, free from creases, tears, and crumples, and whilst I accept that will not always be achievable it is what should be the aim. A true collector of anything... records, toys, coins, stamps or whatever, will look to get items complete, in top condition, and with all original packaging. To me, the boxes are as important as the glasses, and EVERY pair in my collection has a box, the vast majority ranging in condition from excellent to mint. Even the number of glasses I have that were so limited they never came with a box, have had the appropriate box type added to deliver an improvement that has come about by acquiring many 'flat pack' boxes direct from Oakley or seeking them from other sources. Boxes personify artistic characteristics of the time, the artwork, sizes, textures, types of opening and so on exude the flavour of the brand....think of X Metal boxes, Artists Series, Stretchline, clear plastic Frogskin/Razor Blade/& Blade boxes, the old corrugated Trenchcoat/Eye Jacket/Straight Jacket boxes with the slips, Monster Dog and Doggle boxes, Why 1 & 2,....I could go on! Looking at the collection profiles on O Review it amazes me how high the content is within collections where pieces have no box, it really seems like a lot of people simply don't care about them....which is fair enough....but collecting at the 'top end' or becoming a 'main high profile' collector should ideally involve the acquisition of items in their most complete original state.

I try to get boxes, and since 90% of my collection was purchased new I have them. For those I've purchased second hand, I intend on tracking down the boxes and replicating it to be as close to original as possible. It's good for resale, for display, and for thoroughness.

Latest Posts

Back