• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which do you prefer?

To piggyback on this thread, I have a pair of Gen 1 Juliets that I might sell soon. The original box and coin are long gone. Would it be worth it to pick up a box and coin, even though the numbers won’t match? If it won’t increase the value that much, I won’t bother.

As you can see I am a new Oakley enthusiast. I have owned a pair of Juliets for many years now and they are my only pair of Oakleys (the XSs are on their way, hopefully tomorrow), and they are my everyday users. However, I have collected a lot of things through the years...luxury fountain pens, watches, coins, darts, star wars toys, etc. So I understand the collecting bug. I also move from hobby to hobby and I sell stuff from my past hobbies to pay for my new hobbies.

For this particular matter, I would like to have as a nice of a pair of glasses with the box as I can get. I will wear the glasses for years (I treat my glasses really well, so they will stay in good shape), and eventually I will probably sell them. I think down the road my multiple year usage + the box will sell for more than if I bought a mint pair with no box. If you buy a mint pair and you wear them for a couple of years, would you be able to consider them as mint.

I guess, I would say a pair of 9 or 8+s + box +wear for 4 years, you will have 8s or 7s if you use them, but you do have the box.

If you buy a pair of 10s, wear them for 4 years (actually when you wear them for a couple of weeks, they are probably already down to 9.5s), you will have 8s or 7s with no box.

Yes, I know you have to sell them to realize any value, but if you are not using them anymore, why not sell and let the next person use them.

I know the investment aspect of the hobby shouldn't always come into play, but the way I look at it, is that I will probably sell them eventually and boxes add value.

Now, if you are trying to come up with an Oakley museum, then go for the pure 10s.

I know, I know, shut up newbie. This is just my perspective on this.

Looking forward to expanding my collection,
Z

As you can see I am a new Oakley enthusiast. I have owned a pair of Juliets for many years now and they are my only pair of Oakleys (the XSs are on their way, hopefully tomorrow), and they are my everyday users. However, I have collected a lot of things through the years...luxury fountain pens, watches, coins, darts, star wars toys, etc. So I understand the collecting bug. I also move from hobby to hobby and I sell stuff from my past hobbies to pay for my new hobbies.

For this particular matter, I would like to have as a nice of a pair of glasses with the box as I can get. I will wear the glasses for years (I treat my glasses really well, so they will stay in good shape), and eventually I will probably sell them. I think down the road my multiple year usage + the box will sell for more than if I bought a mint pair with no box. If you buy a mint pair and you wear them for a couple of years, would you be able to consider them as mint.

I guess, I would say a pair of 9 or 8+s + box +wear for 4 years, you will have 8s or 7s if you use them, but you do have the box.

If you buy a pair of 10s, wear them for 4 years (actually when you wear them for a couple of weeks, they are probably already down to 9.5s), you will have 8s or 7s with no box.

Yes, I know you have to sell them to realize any value, but if you are not using them anymore, why not sell and let the next person use them.

I know the investment aspect of the hobby shouldn't always come into play, but the way I look at it, is that I will probably sell them eventually and boxes add value.

Now, if you are trying to come up with an Oakley museum, then go for the pure 10s.

I know, I know, shut up newbie. This is just my perspective on this.

Looking forward to expanding my collection,
Z
Thank you for your time explaining, i appreciate it ...

Latest Posts

Back