• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which eye jackets can I wear?

Devo

Oakley Beginner
Hi all! Newb here.

I have the MUZM eye jackets and love them! While I do preserve my belongings, I’m really not interested in buying sunglasses I can’t wear due to their brittle nature.

I don’t quite understand where the cutoff is for which pairs are too brittle to risk wearing. I’ve heard you can wear FMJ safely but I see on O Review that there are FMJ coatings in the 1.0 AND the new eye jacket

Is it safe to wear eye jacket 1 with the FMJ? Or should I only be looking at new eye jackets because of the new O matter formula?

The flexible (nylon) O matter formula is not in any of the original eye jackets. Correct?

I’ve found the best way to tell the new eye jackets apart from their predecessors is to look at the logo to see if its surface is flat or rounded / sculpted. Were there any eye jackets with the rounded O before the new eye jackets?

Hi all! Newb here.

I have the MUZM eye jackets and love them! While I do preserve my belongings, I’m really not interested in buying sunglasses I can’t wear due to their brittle nature.

I don’t quite understand where the cutoff is for which pairs are too brittle to risk wearing. I’ve heard you can wear FMJ safely but I see on O Review that there are FMJ coatings in the 1.0 AND the new eye jacket

Is it safe to wear eye jacket 1 with the FMJ? Or should I only be looking at new eye jackets because of the new O matter formula?

The flexible (nylon) O matter formula is not in any of the original eye jackets. Correct?

I’ve found the best way to tell the new eye jackets apart from their predecessors is to look at the logo to see if its surface is flat or rounded / sculpted. Were there any eye jackets with the rounded O before the new eye jackets?

The original eye jacket icons were molded to the arm. NEJ’s had removable icons and as @GRFMotorsports said, if you want to wear them, stay away from the original EJs.

Also, keep in mind that all fmj finishes are prone to bubbling/peeling from moisture over time or body oils and other chemicals you might put on your face that comes in contact with the frame. Most of the time it starts around the bridge area and once it starts, it spreads. It’s similar to how lenses delam

The original eye jacket icons were molded to the arm. NEJ’s had removable icons and as @GRFMotorsports said, if you want to wear them, stay away from the original EJs.

Also, keep in mind that all fmj finishes are prone to bubbling/peeling from moisture over time or body oils and other chemicals you might put on your face that comes in contact with the frame. Most of the time it starts around the bridge area and once it starts, it spreads. It’s similar to how lenses delam
Ah okay great! Thanks for the info on FMJ too. That sucks, they look really good.

This is listed as an EJ 1.0 in Gunmetal Grey.

It’s a NEJ though. Right?

A6A8ABAC-3C93-4262-8994-DB5D9C9D6B6D.png

Yes it’s fmj too fyi.

Another way to tell is the hinge design. On the first gen it was squared off while on a NEJ it’s rounded as you see in the pic you posted
Also the same technique used on New Straight Jackets. The originals had weak hinges.

I don’t know that I’d be wearing the MUZM bundle just because of them being a limited edition. Plenty of good seats of silver or FMJ 5.56 new eye jackets around as well as the redux if you wanted to wear this as well. But If you’re just after the original style eye jacket there should be much more affordable options. You can probably sell that bundle and find 4-6 pairs of original NEJ…
Just my 2 cents

Hi all! Newb here.

I don’t know that I’d be wearing the MUZM bundle just because of them being a limited edition. Plenty of good seats of silver or FMJ 5.56 new eye jackets around as well as the redux if you wanted to wear this as well. But If you’re just after the original style eye jacket there should be much more affordable options. You can probably sell that bundle and find 4-6 pairs of original NEJ…
Just my 2 cents
Okay fair. I have not seen many pairs of NEJ for sale though.

I’ll try a BUYING post in the exchange soon.