• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which Glasses For Football(soccer)?

So I went and tried on the Racing Jackets and Radarlocks, the Radarlocks gave me a much more open peripheral vision and I honestly think they'd be much more comfortable while playing football. I'm not even sure the Racing Jackets would have a better chance of catching a lense because of the bottom of the bracket not being up against my face, which also blocks my peripheral vision towards my feet somewhat, which would be a huge problem in football. :p

So yeah.. Think I'll go for the Radarlocks, now I just need to decide on Path or Pitch, and what kinda lenses to get. :)

So I went and tried on the Racing Jackets and Radarlocks, the Radarlocks gave me a much more open peripheral vision and I honestly think they'd be much more comfortable while playing football. I'm not even sure the Racing Jackets would have a better chance of catching a lense because of the bottom of the bracket not being up against my face, which also blocks my peripheral vision towards my feet somewhat, which would be a huge problem in football. :p

So yeah.. Think I'll go for the Radarlocks, now I just need to decide on Path or Pitch, and what kinda lenses to get. :)

You'll need to be able to secure those to your head otherwise they get knocked off everytime you go into a challenge or head the ball & also the open edges on the lens could be deemed as dangerous to you & other players if involved in an impact where as a sold frame would have a more secure fitting for the lens & no sharpe or dangerous edges. If you are needing to wear glasses to play I'd advise getting hold of your local association to see what their rules are about glass wearing for football. I use to play with a lad in my school team that had to wear his glasses to be able to play otherwise he couldn't see at all. He was only able to play if the glasses were strapped to his head.
Best to get it all checked out before you spend money on the glasses & then find out you are not allowed to wear them. I'd still look for the original Water/Racing Jackets to be honest.

These are what you really need
edgarj.jpg

Excellent point mate, I hadn't really thought about the regulation stuff.. I'm not playing any competitive football atm, but I might do this summer and I will definitely play competitively next summer.. Back to the Racing Jackets I guess.. :p

I tried finding Water Jackets but without luck, there's only one retailer with Oakley here in Iceland and they are understandably pretty limited. They haven't got the Wind Jacket/Split jacket's either so I can't try them on, leaving I guess, only the Racing Jacket as a viable option.

I'm afraid the Bay may be the only place but they aren't cheep. The new racing jacket & split jacket take a strap. & a good football always knows where the ball is & doesn't need to look down at his feet.............:lolsign:

So what's the difference between the three? Split/Racing/Water, why should I choose one over the other? :p

From a glance it looks like the biggest difference is size, Racing - Split - Water, from biggest to smallest, but it's very hard to see from stock photos alone.

Both the M-frame's and the Radarlock's face the problem of having unprotected lense edges though.. that means there's probably a 99% chance they wouldn't be allowed in regulation football due to chances of them hurting someone. :/

If it were me i'd go with the old Water Jacket all the time as the shaping of the frame fits the face so well & the view from the lens coverage is spot on. After all one of the greatest footballers can't be wrong :grin:

Latest Posts

Back