• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which lens are these?

I have never seen anyone wear G26 iridium or owned a pair myself. But really curious to see if they are a brighter coating in the center of the lens.

I have never seen anyone wear G26 iridium or owned a pair myself. But really curious to see if they are a brighter coating in the center of the lens.

It's not that the coating is brighter; many iridium colors look different when light is reflected from different angles. Thus a flatter lens will be more uniform in color while a more curved lens, such as the toric shield in radarlocks, will show more color variation. Even with the same iridium.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a pic of G26 in Juliets:
What Oakleys Are You Wearing Today?? | Page 1992 | Oakley Forum

With the different base they do tend to look more yellowish towards the center and that's why many here are suggesting it's G26 in those pics. And going by appearance alone, I would agree.

But factor in the curve for radarlocks, the adjustments to color cameras and screens can make, the fact that G26 radarlock lenses aren't common, and the fact that Jade is one of the lenses that comes default with that frame, I think the evidence is more compelling that they are Jade.

Here's a link to a pic of G26 in Juliets:
What Oakleys Are You Wearing Today?? | Page 1992 | Oakley Forum

With the different base they do tend to look more yellowish towards the center and that's why many here are suggesting it's G26 in those pics. And going by appearance alone, I would agree.

But factor in the curve for radarlocks, the adjustments to color cameras and screens can make, the fact that G26 radarlock lenses aren't common, and the fact that Jade is one of the lenses that comes default with that frame, I think the evidence is more compelling that they are Jade.
Sorry but do you think you could go through that,just one more time:whistle:

Most of the Gs are rose bases with varying transmission %s but the G26's was bespoke, more purple than rose.
It was the rose base (actually Oakley calls it Amber, but it's certainly not the same amber used in anything else). The mirror coating caused the shift in appearance much like Ruby causes the neutral lens to appear blue. Or even how Violet causes the green tinge to the neutral. It's all about the coating.

o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1103

It was the rose base (actually Oakley calls it Amber, but it's certainly not the same amber used in anything else). The mirror coating caused the shift in appearance much like Ruby causes the neutral lens to appear blue. Or even how Violet causes the green tinge to the neutral. It's all about the coating.

o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1103
Violet doesn't have a neutral base though (at least in its Juliet application)... Hold it to a strong enough light source and it's clearly amber in both directions. Same with ruby; do the same and it's different to, say, black. The iridium layer isn't sufficiently thick to make such a significant change to the colour, it's there for fine tuning. We see the same thing with Prizm lenses - the bases differ, sometimes subtly, sometimes less so, as well as changes to the hue of the iridium.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back