• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which lens are these?

Also, what shape/cut are these lens? Path or Range?

It's hard to tell because you need to see the bottom edge of the lens and he has them sitting on his hat brim in all the pics, but it should be path.

Your personal choice of lens shape should be based on what fits you the best, though, not what some other guy is wearing. .

Violet doesn't have a neutral base though (at least in its Juliet application)... Hold it to a strong enough light source and it's clearly amber in both directions. Same with ruby; do the same and it's different to, say, black. The iridium layer isn't sufficiently thick to make such a significant change to the colour, it's there for fine tuning. We see the same thing with Prizm lenses - the bases differ, sometimes subtly, sometimes less so, as well as changes to the hue of the iridium.
That's incorrect. Violet, Ruby, Positive Red, Jade, Ice and on and on all have the same base...You can check the chart on oreview and you can check on o.com...they are all the same base. It's the mirror coating that effects it's appearance, no matter what your eye's perceive them to be..

violet
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1148

ruby
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1142

ice
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1126

positive red
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1075

emerald
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1096

That's incorrect. Violet, Ruby, Positive Red, Jade, Ice and on and on all have the same base...You can check the chart on oreview and you can check on o.com...they are all the same base. It's the mirror coating that effects it's appearance, no matter what your eye's perceive them to be..

violet
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1148

ruby
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1142

ice
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1126

positive red
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1075

emerald
o-review.com/database_detail_lens.php?ID=1096
It's not incorrect at all. O-review is a great piece of work but Oakley itself makes errors and I'm not going to trust any database over the empirical evidence of my own eyes. O-review does also show an amber base for violet (as violet mirror); this is in fact also the base used in the Juliet IH and the violet in Julian Wilson Holbrooks. I don't have any other violets to check, it's possible some do have a grey base - a named Oakley lens does not always resolve to one configuration.

As Scotty said "Ye cannae change the laws of physics". Neither can Oakley.

I can easily go with the idea that Ice, +Red are surely neutral, but it gets weird with Fire and Violet imo. The pairs I've tried them on are strongly off-hue .

I had the theory that Oakley themselves listed those lenses with a "neutral" base only because they weren't necessarily using other established bases like G30/VR50/etc, and were just saving on the hassle of trademarks and such...and that they were closer to neutral than those contrast bases. I also suspect the same about Sapphire and Jade. I believe I read somewhere here that Warm Grey is using it's own specific base.

Fire and violet are both shown as increased in my 2009 dealer catalogue; I believe that the amber base is generally referred to as increased or contrast, it's clearly not neutral.

image.jpg

And I was somewhat flippant with my Scotty quote, but this is simple physics - if fire is reflecting yellow and some red and violet violet and some indigo and/or blue (at opposite ends of the spectrum), the transmitted light is not the same if the intervening lens is neutral. Which takes me to the governing factor being the lens base colour; looking through fire and violet is near identical.

As I said, there may well be neutral, grey-based violet lenses. Juliet and Holbrook violet lenses aren't.

Last edited:
Fire and violet are both shown as increased in my 2009 dealer catalogue; I believe that the amber base is generally referred to as increased or contrast, it's clearly not neutral.

View attachment 176815

And I was somewhat flippant with my Scotty quote, but this is simple physics - if fire is reflecting yellow and some red and violet violet and some indigo and/or blue (at opposite ends of the spectrum), the transmitted light is not the same if the intervening lens is neutral. Which takes me to the governing factor being the lens base colour; looking through fire and violet is near identical.

As I said, there may well be neutral, grey-based violet lenses. Juliet and Holbrook violet lenses aren't.
I won't waste more efforts on this. Those sheets are not stating what the bases are, rather what their results are. Increased contrast isn't a base, it's the results you achieve while wearing them. As it states, "Contrast" and then you have neutral, increased etc. Doesn't say the actual base. But hey, you can think what you want, the bases are what they are. The mirror, time in the coating chamber, curvatures or lack of from the lens all play a role in the finished appearance. If you want even more to go with, take Ruby Clear for example...Clear being the base, Ruby being the Iridium coating...Why then do they appear to be on a light blue base? Because the mirroring causes the change, same as it does with the grey "neutral" base lens. -Red is the same. Might well be the actual color spectrum wavelength that is being slowed down or blocked that creates that effect, I don't recall exactly how it was explained.

View attachment 177085

We're going to have to agree to disagree, yes. The sheets never state what the base is. You have faith in what O-review has, I'm going with a repeatable empirical approach. And yes, the bases are what they are regardless of what I - or you - think, we just differ on what they are. I'm sure we can both live with that.

This is a topic that I'd pondered about quite a bit - Ruby and Violet, does the iridium change the base tint so much that they appear blue / contrast, or is that the actual base tint?

IMO the only definitive answer is to take a lens and scratch off the iridium, then see what the base looks like.

But I've yet to have some suitably trashed donors to used for the experiment... :(

I won't waste more efforts on this. Those sheets are not stating what the bases are, rather what their results are. Increased contrast isn't a base, it's the results you achieve while wearing them. As it states, "Contrast" and then you have neutral, increased etc. Doesn't say the actual base. But hey, you can think what you want, the bases are what they are. The mirror, time in the coating chamber, curvatures or lack of from the lens all play a role in the finished appearance. If you want even more to go with, take Ruby Clear for example...Clear being the base, Ruby being the Iridium coating...Why then do they appear to be on a light blue base? Because the mirroring causes the change, same as it does with the grey "neutral" base lens. -Red is the same. Might well be the actual color spectrum wavelength that is being slowed down or blocked that creates that effect, I don't recall exactly how it was explained.

Yes, I was told the same story from a rather definitive Oakley source. I can't say I understand the science behind it nor do I know if Violet is one of the lenses affected, but there are indeed many factors that do work to change the base color, iridium "baking" included.

Latest Posts

Back