• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which Lens Is Darker? Warm Grey Or Black Iridium? I Need It Dark!

Parker Lewis

Oakley Beginner
Hi everyone, I've been reading many posts on the forum but still had some questions so I decided to sign up and make my own thread. I bought the Pitbull glasses based on some reviews I read here on the forum and they are great! I just got them last weekend at my local O-store and have been wearing them now for about 9 or 10 days. At first I wasn't sure I'd like them but the fit is great and I absolutely love the stems and nose with the Unobtanium, a nice grippy fit even when sweating in the sun. I went in thinking I'd get the Straight Jackets but tried them on and they are pretty small for me (got a large dome) and a lot of light comes in from underneath. So I bought the Pitbull in matte black frames which are awesome looking, but only available with the Warm Grey lens. Well this lens is not cutting it for me. I have very sensitive eyes and with this warm grey lens I still end up squinting sometimes while wearing these glasses in the bright sun. So, my first thought was to go back and exchange the glasses for another Pitbull with Black Iridium lens hoping they'd be darker, but from searching the O site I see that the only lens offered with the Matte Black frame is the Warm Grey, and the Pitbull lenses are not available separately. So I have a couple questions for you experts:

1. I checked out the lens tint app on the O site and it lists both Warm Grey and Black Iridium as 10% light transmission, so this means they are the same in regards to the amount of light that passes through, is that right? I need the darkest I can get in reference to what I see when the glasses are on my face, so in real life are the Black Iridium lenses actually darker as compared to Warm Grey? Does anyone have real world comparison on these two lenses?

2. If the Black Iridium lens is darker and I decide to get those then I'll have to get the Polished black frames which are decent but I really like the Matte Black frames. Does anyone expect the Pitbull lens to be available separately anytime soon? I notice it is not customizable on the O website, is that because the Pitbull is still shown as “new” on the O website? My point is that I would like to keep my matte black frames but get a darker lens than the Warm Grey, if that's possible? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this everyone, I appreciate your advice!

Hi everyone, I've been reading many posts on the forum but still had some questions so I decided to sign up and make my own thread. I bought the Pitbull glasses based on some reviews I read here on the forum and they are great! I just got them last weekend at my local O-store and have been wearing them now for about 9 or 10 days. At first I wasn't sure I'd like them but the fit is great and I absolutely love the stems and nose with the Unobtanium, a nice grippy fit even when sweating in the sun. I went in thinking I'd get the Straight Jackets but tried them on and they are pretty small for me (got a large dome) and a lot of light comes in from underneath. So I bought the Pitbull in matte black frames which are awesome looking, but only available with the Warm Grey lens. Well this lens is not cutting it for me. I have very sensitive eyes and with this warm grey lens I still end up squinting sometimes while wearing these glasses in the bright sun. So, my first thought was to go back and exchange the glasses for another Pitbull with Black Iridium lens hoping they'd be darker, but from searching the O site I see that the only lens offered with the Matte Black frame is the Warm Grey, and the Pitbull lenses are not available separately. So I have a couple questions for you experts:

1. I checked out the lens tint app on the O site and it lists both Warm Grey and Black Iridium as 10% light transmission, so this means they are the same in regards to the amount of light that passes through, is that right? I need the darkest I can get in reference to what I see when the glasses are on my face, so in real life are the Black Iridium lenses actually darker as compared to Warm Grey? Does anyone have real world comparison on these two lenses?

2. If the Black Iridium lens is darker and I decide to get those then I'll have to get the Polished black frames which are decent but I really like the Matte Black frames. Does anyone expect the Pitbull lens to be available separately anytime soon? I notice it is not customizable on the O website, is that because the Pitbull is still shown as “new” on the O website? My point is that I would like to keep my matte black frames but get a darker lens than the Warm Grey, if that's possible? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this everyone, I appreciate your advice!

Corin Nemec, black iridium is darker. :)

On the oakley lens tint page you can "view" each tint, switch to each very quick and yep the Black Irid is darker. Just putting this out there might want to check the Black Iridium Polarized version the polorization will help with glare for you eye sensitivity. I too wanted the darkest I could get and the B.I.P. works.

Pit Bulls I agree are very grippy Ive been out in the morning fishing in the high heat humidity sweating greatly and these guys are stuck like glue to my face

Black Iridium 10%
Grey Iridium 18%
Black Iridium Polarized 9%
Grey Iridium Polarized 17%
or just use the OAKLEY Lens Guide iPhone APP is great!!
you can see which lens would be the best for road, golf, mtb, snow, water what ever....
Try them!!!! i think those app are awesome.

Black Iridium 10%
Grey Iridium 18%
Black Iridium Polarized 17%
Grey Iridium Polarized 9%
or just use the OAKLEY Lens Guide iPhone APP is great!!
you can see which lens would be the best for road, golf, mtb, snow, water what ever....
Try them!!!! i think those app are awesome.

Black Iridium Polarized is 9% and Grey Iridium Polarized is 17%

And someone please beat Oakley over the head into releasing an ANDROID Lens Guide App; the Android OS sells better than the iPhone now anyway...time to get on board.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll have to wait for the PItbull lenses to become available and grab a BIP. I hope they realease the lenses soon.

It's a good question but in my experience the Black Iridium lens seems darker.
Having said that, it depends on the model too, and even the age of model. For example, I have two Black Iridium lensed Hijinx, the Ducati and a White pair. The White is much lighter than the Ducati. And then my A Wires are darker again - is it because the lens is thicker? Either way, slipping them on is like flipping down the visor on a welder's helmet.
My advice is simply try a side by side comparison. Take your current Pit Bull into an Oakley store and compare them to a black iridium pair. It's the only way to be sure you are satisfied.

Back