• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which lens should I pick

I can roll with that. Man it is so hard to choose!! I try to test a tungsten tint if I manage to find one...
Now it's between road jade and tungsten ... Jade has my preference now because of its cycling purpose...
But my mind has been cooked by the options!!
I have Tungsten, Trail, Trail Torch, Deep Water, Shallow Water, Low Light, Sapphire, Snow Sapphire, Black, and Black Iridium (which in theory is same as black, but this one actually has more of a mirror finish than my standard black).

For me, which has been mostly driving, walking, and trail hiking, my go to has been Tungsten when it's really bright out, and Trail when it's partly cloudy/hazy or darker.

I don't particularly care about hiding my eyes, or that the non-torch trail is pink-ish with a blue reflection.

20210715_185636.jpg

197622498_10227716612208748_6977434269540096492_n.jpg

I have Tungsten, Trail, Trail Torch, Deep Water, Shallow Water, Low Light, Sapphire, Snow Sapphire, Black, and Black Iridium (which in theory is same as black, but this one actually has more of a mirror finish than my standard black).

For me, which has been mostly driving, walking, and trail hiking, my go to has been Tungsten when it's really bright out, and Trail when it's partly cloudy/hazy or darker.

I don't particularly care about hiding my eyes, or that the non-torch trail is pink-ish with a blue reflection.

View attachment 883676
View attachment 883677
Love the tungsten on you (and that frame is... Wow) The pink one is very stylish, but I will not have the confidence to wear it.
As I need prescription glasses I will buy only one pair each year, and it has to fit my everyday need... (Did I say I love the frame withe the tungsten lens? ;) )

Love the tungsten on you (and that frame is... Wow) The pink one is very stylish, but I will not have the confidence to wear it.
As I need prescription glasses I will buy only one pair each year, and it has to fit my everyday need... (Did I say I love the frame withe the tungsten lens? ;) )
That's a Holbrook XL in woodgrain, the one I got originally came with Shallow Water Polarized.

For the Holbrook right now I have the Shallow Water, Trail, Black Iridium, Black, and Tungsten. (The two blacks were what came with the Tortoise and Kokoro Holbrook XL frame).

167631945_10227084623049414_7909728716668867058_n.jpg

Another view of the Tungsten on the same frame, but not directly in the sun.

received_306295337610819-01.jpeg

The Holbrook XL can be prescription on most of the lens offerings, just not 100% certain on Tungsten or Tungsten Polarized being an option. I know Shallow Water Polarized is not currently an option, but Deep Water is.

That's a Holbrook XL in woodgrain, the one I got originally came with Shallow Water Polarized.

For the Holbrook right now I have the Shallow Water, Trail, Black Iridium, Black, and Tungsten. (The two blacks were what came with the Tortoise and Kokoro Holbrook XL frame).

View attachment 883684

Another view of the Tungsten on the same frame, but not directly in the sun.

View attachment 883685

The Holbrook XL can be prescription on most of the lens offerings, just not 100% certain on Tungsten or Tungsten Polarized being an option. I know Shallow Water Polarized is not currently an option, but Deep Water is.
Holbrooke woodgrain... Yep... Perfect choice... I would take that if only it has any "sport" feature. I imagine them quite slippery when sweaty... But love the look! I'll keep that in mind for my next pair.... Yesterday I did not want any sunglasses .. now I want them all :)) life is strange :))

Holbrooke woodgrain... Yep... Perfect choice... I would take that if only it has any "sport" feature. I imagine them quite slippery when sweaty... But love the look! I'll keep that in mind for my next pair.... Yesterday I did not want any sunglasses .. now I want them all :)) life is strange :))
Haven't had any issue with the woodgrain one (and mine is the Holbrook XL, the frame and lens are larger than the standard Holbrook), been out on the trail super sweaty. The glossy finish ones are more likely to be slippery to me.

But also depends on the kind of acitivies you do if any of it is rather vigorous.

Prizm Trail with make everything pop big time. Like an LSD trip. Browns and red and green are amazing on Trail. Trail Torch is not as intense.

Prizm Trail with make everything pop big time. Like an LSD trip. Browns and red and green are amazing on Trail. Trail Torch is not as intense.
Yet it seems more natural than tungsten once your eyes get acclimated to the white balance since with trail it just ends up feeling like a warm view though not quite as "golden hour" as shallow water.

Tungsten is almost like a Pixar movie, the greens really pop, and so do some blues as the darkening of them makes them stand out, but it also causes a lot of the more subtle blues to appear almost purple ish. So what you end up with is a lot of green/violet between the sky and ground, and the reds/oranges/yellows still pop when a specific hue.

So tungsten does appear to be more "artificial" even if it doesn't have as much popping in the reds, oranges and browns.

So trail if you want maximum appearance of brightness and contrast especially on partly sunny days down to full overcast, trail torch to have it bright but not quite as in your face on the red end, shallow water to still have reds/oranges/etc pop with more suppression of the green while giving the full day a "golden hour" look (and if you can't handle the appearance of tungsten). Tungsten if you want maximum contrast and pop and want some more popping of the greens.

There's also Rose Gold which is like tungsten, but has a gold finish on front. As a result of that reflectivity on the front the look thru the lens is a fair bit green tinted compared to tungsten, probably because you're losing some of the yellows with that finish. I love tungsten, but I hated rose gold.

The color reflected off the front has an impact, shallow water reflects a bit of greens, hence the greens in the landscape tend to be darker than most other elements in the landscape.

Ruby which is bronze based like tungsten and rose gold is a much cooler appearance to the two most likely due to the large amount of red that is reflected away from the eyes.

karlb - what do you find shallow water prizm is best for and how does it feel?
In my opinion from a lifestyle standpoint and not so much sports (ie: fishing etc), the SWP seems best if you want strong contrast, in mid-high to high bright sun, with reds/browns/orange/etc to 'pop', need the polarization (primarily for around water), and want to have a sort of 'golden hour' late afternoon look that doesn't feel artificial. Pure whites seem to stand out more probably by design (ie: for fishing and seeing the flash of em in shallow water). Good for when Tungsten and the likes are too much for you. Both SWP and Tungsten are very similar in brightness.

Also good when you want a sort of Jade iridium look without going with the Jade look thru the lens.

Back