• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which lens to reduce glare from artificial light?

Chuno

Oakley Beginner
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and I have just picked up my first pair of oakleys (prescription Holbrooks with 00 Black Iridium Polarised Lenses)

I have a fairly rare eye condition called a corneal dystrophy which, to cut a long story short, means that glare from both the sun and artificial light affects my eyes quite a lot more than normal. It tends to 'scatter' quite a lot and I can see it relfecting around the lighy itself - kind of difficult to explain really.

I am really happy with how the lenses in my holbrooks do a good job of stopping a lot of the glare from the sun (and some artificial light to a certain extent), but as these are still relatively dark lenses, then they are not really much use for indoors or night time activities (such as driving)

Please could people tell me which of the lenses would be best for blocking as much artificial light as possible, but still be usable in low light conditions. Currently driving at night time is quite difficult with headlights from oncoming cars.

Would I be best with the HI Intensity Yellow, or the lightest polarised lenses that they do? ls this Grey Polrised?

I understand that it is impossible to completely cut the glare from artificial light, but even a bit would help.

Ideally, I would try them all on, but as far as I know, there is nowhere here (In the UK) that I can do this?

Thank you for your help.

There is an Oakley store in Covent Garden with quite a big range to try on, and Vaults at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth and Cheshire Oaks in Ellesmere Port. Other than that, it's local authorised dealers (there's a search on the official site) but they will have less of a range in most cases.

I would like to know that answer as well... I had monovision done and night driving with lights can be quite scattered or starry.

Thanks for the info, I popped up to Cheshire oaks this evening and had a good look.

Just one more question, looking at the Turbine frame, when i go to custom and select the ear socks, it gives me three options that all look the same - redline grip, redline tread and redline oakley. Please can someone explain what the difference is?

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I popped up to Cheshire oaks this evening and had a good look.

Just one more question, looking at the Turbine frame, when i go to custom and select the ear socks, it gives me three options that all look the same - redline grip, redline tread and redline oakley. Please can someone explain what the difference is?

Thanks
The pattern. The grip is little dots similar to the B1B style of BMX grips. The tread is a blocky pattern like a tire tread. The Oakley has the logo. I like the grip style the most, personally.

As to the OP - HI Persimmon would be my suggestion. If that's too dark, the HI Yellow, but its iridium coating (what does the glare reduction) is quite minimal. Titanium clear and Gold clear are options, but pretty uncommon.

If you're getting flaring are you sure it's not astigmatism related? That can be somewhat corrected with Toric prescription lenses.

Rustpot - thanks for the info.

The Turbine are for my brother.

As for myself - it is definitely corneal dystrophy unfortunately (having spent many years in and out of hospital having it checked out)

Fuse lenses advertise a yellowish lens to reduce glare at night as well as computer glare etc.. have not tryed it though.
FUSE NIGHT Vislon Gaming Yellow Tint Lenses for Oakley Holbrook | Fuse Lenses

I wonder how well these would work? I don't have the diagnosed issue that you do, but I've always had an issue with glare, starbursts, and light beams especially at night, and it is exacerbated even further if I'm driving at night while it is raining. Lately I've been hunting for glasses for computer work and I've read good things about a company called Gunnar Optiks. They have a frame not too different from the Holbrook called the Intercept. Though honestly, if these Fuse lenses would do the same job in some Holbrook frames, I'd much rather buy Oakleys. If by chance you give a set of these lenses a shot, please update us with how they work.

You'd want this type of a lens...

yellow-safety-glasses.jpg

Back