• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which One Do You Prefer. Plasma Or Xmetal Frames?

Depends on the use though. I like them both equally.
I'd use plasma frame as eyeglasses and x-metal as sunglasses.

The X-metal frame defines the Juliet model of Sunglasses for me. I actually enjoy each design in it's own way and could easily say I love the polished/plasma/x-metal equally... Right now I have a pair of each X-Metal, Polished, Plasma, and Carbon, however when someone says "Juliet/Romeo/Penny" I immediately think of the X-metal design before any other.

At my local Oakley Vault I got to see the X-squared in Xmetal next to an X-squard with plasma fire lenses. I own the Xmetal and Im not trying to be biased, but I like the Xmetal ones better. The plama fire were not doing it for me.

For me:
1st: Xmetal
2nd: Polished
3rd: Plasma

The Xmetal coating is now favourite X-Metal frame coating. Other than the well-known "Xmetal/Ruby Iridium Combo", it's very durable; make a good contrast with most of the lense colour; almost no reflection from the back side of the fame; and most important it gives an x-matal frame that "Bulk" look, which really amplifies the meaning of the "X-Metal Design" by presenting all the edge and angle thanks to the matte finish!

The Polished frame is a no coating finish, which completed by just "polish" the x-metal frame. Because of that, the polished x-metal frame is very easy to take care of. Besides U don't need to worry about the coating falling of like the other frame does eventually (but takes decades if U take good care of them), and for some people, no worry for allergic reaction on the skin (few of my friend experienced that from old carbon/plasma frame). the reason I place this finish in 2nd are: (1) some of my friend an me myself get reflection from the back edge of the frame sometimes, gets more often when U are ware them under very strong sunlight without a hat. (2) it goes ewell with most of the lens colour, but they don't keep a "low-profile" like the x-metal finish do......what am I talking about here.... to ordinary people, all X-Metal frames are "high-profile/show offs"

I don't like the 1st Gen Plasma because the coating is just not durable even U don't wear them!
But the latest "Infinite Hero JULIET" (which uses the latest type plasma coating starting from later 2009/early 2010, I guess) really caught my eyes! the latest Plasma finish is durable enough and has really nice dark-silver shem on it! This gives them a boost when compare to the Carbon finish, which a Dark-Gray/Black Matte finish instead would win my vote!

I originally preferred plasma in the early days back in 2000 when I purchased my Juliets. After only a few years the finish wore off from the sweat from my cheeks where the bottom of the frame frequently touched. One of my big gripes with the Juiliet was that they didn't have trigger ear stems while the XX models did. When I brought my frames in to Oakley in Socal when I was working there, they immediately recognized the earlier gen plasma finish (which was an almost matte finish) and offered me a free replacement frame.

I wasn't too fond of the polished frame but they had trigger ear stems so I went with them. I have grown to love the polished finish and I agree it's incredibly easy to maintain. In fact, I'd dare say... maintenance free. I wonder how the x metal finish holds up esp..

1. Polished (for the trigger ear stems and maintenance free)
2. X Metal
3. Plasma

Back