• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which Prizm lens would work best for my situation (driving, travel/hike)?

xilex

Oakley Beginner
Hi, new person here, I thought this place would be best for advice regarding Oakley glasses.

I'm planning to get a pair of prescription sunglasses from Oakley, specifically the Flak 2.0 sunglasses because I needed something that wrapped around the edge of my eyes so when driving north during the evening the sun isn't shining into the side of my eyes. My primary use will be for driving, and secondary use will be for travel/hiking. The prescription for my eye is -4.50/-3.75 for left/right eyes. I heard Oakley has some tech called EDGE which allows for this higher prescription, so please let me know if I am wrong.

I am interested in the Prizm lenses. On SportRx they have Prizm and Polarized Prizm. The Prizm ones seem situation-specific, while I'm not too sure the differences among Polarized Prizm lenses are. Would you be able to recommend a lens for my use-case? Thanks everyone.

Polarized reduces glare, full stop, that's all it does, Prizm or not. This could be useful when driving, but it's not essential. When hiking, you may never see an advantage from polarized lenses.

Try on some lenses at a store. Prizm Black darkens and is a good everyday lens for lots of conditions. Prizm Tungsten is a brown-based, versatile, everyday lens. Whether you prefer a neutral grey lens or a brown is a matter of taste.

Try on some lenses at a store. Prizm Black darkens and is a good everyday lens for lots of conditions. Prizm Tungsten is a brown-based, versatile, everyday lens. Whether you prefer a neutral grey lens or a brown is a matter of taste.

I'll have to stop by the store a second time. I tried on frames the first time to see which one(s) fit well. Forgot to look through different lens types.

Is there going to be a big difference between Prizm Black, Black Iridium, and Standard Grey? Of course, I will check it out myself in the near future.

Prizm Black is Iridium, it refers to the reflective coating. Grey is similar, just without the Iridium. The coating makes the lenses a little darker, but not by much at all. Grey is a kind of classic sunglasses look, the lenses are dark, but not overly reflective. It's a versatile lens, and if you're looking to save money, it's the cheapest.

In the brown-based lenses you have Tungsten Iridium, and the cheaper version without Iridium is Prizm Bronze. Bronze is a great lens too, but not available in as many frames.

Thread revive from the dead. How does the Prism Road lens fit into the conversation? Any new lenses to look at? My prizm daily polarized causes too much color shift with my tinted windows.

Prizm Road would suit your needs quite well. Not too dark. Not polarized. It does have a pink tint when looking through. Not sure if you want that.

I agree with the earlier replies. Tungsten, Prizm or old school in a non-polarized version is the best choice. Good for driving, and walking and can handle bright and shady conditions.

Thank you very much for the reply. The sun hits the road just right here and I lose sight of the highway markings. The polarizing filter is always just at a different angle than my my window tint and makes everything funky.

Thank you very much for the reply. The sun hits the road just right here and I lose sight of the highway markings. The polarizing filter is always just at a different angle than my my window tint and makes everything funky.
I drive all the time with my Prizm Road Sutros. Makes the driving experience very enjoyable:)

Back