• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which would you rather have?...

What would you rather have?

• An Oakley produced 24k SAMPLE Juliet/XS with a 9/10 frame

• A CUSTOM 24k Juliet/XS with 10/10 frame

Results are only viewable after voting.
Screenshot_20180207-150605.png

I would just paint some they do look nice and wouldn' be bothered if they got scratched

Yeah getting anything to plate to titanium is a bit tricky. Alot of average plating places won't do anything with it. There may be a way to go from woods nickel directly to gold plating but I'm not sure exactly. There's not a huge amount of info out there on plating titanium.

Don't know but you can get some really good chrome gold paint. I have asked some places in the UK about plating but no one will touch the titanium they all just say anodized is the only way.

Yeah getting anything to plate to titanium is a bit tricky. Alot of average plating places won't do anything with it. There may be a way to go from woods nickel directly to gold plating but I'm not sure exactly. There's not a huge amount of info out there on plating titanium.
I tried to get someone to copper plate some pairs of Juliets in Adelaide. No one. I mean NO-ONE could do it....I come from a city with about 2 million people....but I managed to get the X-metal vault plated. That's all they could do. And I had to send it to two places.

Even more reason for me not to get a pair then. I originally thought I was paying 10x the price of gold for something that was gold plated. I'd rather pay someone to gold plate my Juliets instead. :D
You are better off doing that buddy. I got a quote of £380 for real 24K plating. All you need is a beater frame and as far as I am concerned, that is better value than a fake gold Juliet that is selling at $1500 these days.

You are better off doing that buddy. I got a quote of £380 for real 24K plating. All you need is a beater frame and as far as I am concerned, that is better value than a fake gold Juliet that is selling at $1500 these days.

Exactly my thoughts as well. And if I ever get around to it doing it myself makes it that much better to me personally. Probably why I like custom finishes on most of my stuff anyway. Make it my own.

Exactly my thoughts as well. And if I ever get around to it doing it myself makes it that much better to me personally. Probably why I like custom finishes on most of my stuff anyway. Make it my own.
Would you have an approximate price on how much a 24k gold finish would cost? Also, I'd imagine the wear would not be as good as normal non-gold 24k finishes....at least if rings are anything to go by.

Not really at the moment. I'd have to do one completely start to finish on a frame of my own to get an idea on time and cost. I could plate a thick layer of gold onto the frame as well so would take a long time time wear off if it did. Or plate the majority of the frame in a decent layer of gold and build up a thick layer on the tips of the earstems. As the tips of the earstems see the majority of the wear.