• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

White Framed Sunglasses

Razerwire

And then there was X...
Falls Church, VA
Sorry, newbie here to the forums and wasn't sure if this topic was covered before/beaten to death/in a zombie thread. I did a search and nothing came up.

My question is this:

I recently bought a pair of Split Jackets Polished White/Ice Iridium/Light Grey using MyCokeRewards.com. I have a crap ton of points and figured $200 down to $119 for those Split Jackets was a deal I couldn't pass up. But then I remembered something about people who wear white framed sunglasses are generally regarded as d-bags. Not very flattering but luckily I'm old enough now and married to not care what others think. Plus the sunnies were just too damned cool looking to not buy. Perhaps if I were younger and single I wouldn't have bought them as I wouldn't want any women to turn me down just because of a pair of sunglasses. :laugh:

But back to my question. Has this stigma been around for a long time? I wasn't even aware of it until I bought those Split Jackets. Is it because it's too "Jersey Shore" or something? I've also heard that white framed sunglasses were a "women only" thing for a while.

Has the mentality of people wearing white framed sunglasses being d-bags turned you away from buying a pair for yourself?

neither my wife nor I think they look good on me but there's nothing wrong with liking and wearing them I prefer basic Black and Brown frames That is more of stigma here for many people that like all kinds of colors...lemon peel ugh..its up to the individual..now if u wear white Prada..well I just don't know...
oh yeah agree on aviator..

I think that's a stereotype that's wrong for the reason any others are. I owned the White Split Jacket myself (returned due to a quality issue-now I have 1200 points I don't know what to do with though I might grab that Rootbeer Batwolf...like I need a third pair of those) and didn't think they had the impact other white frames did because they are a sport frame. Now...that said, the impact of a Polished White Oil Rig or Batwolf is totally different because I've been told by people they thought frames like that (shield frames basically) in any color make people look like D's. But I don't think the shades make the man-I think a guy who is cool, confident, courteous and sophisticated can pull off a any frame because its THAT which people see, feel and are impacted by more. I never thought someone was one way or another based on clothing or accessories or car...it was something else I "read" in them that formed my first impression.

I think that's a stereotype that's wrong for the reason any others are. I owned the White Split Jacket myself (returned due to a quality issue-now I have 1200 points I don't know what to do with though I might grab that Rootbeer Batwolf...like I need a third pair of those) and didn't think they had the impact other white frames did because they are a sport frame. Now...that said, the impact of a Polished White Oil Rig or Batwolf is totally different because I've been told by people they thought frames like that (shield frames basically) in any color make people look like D's. But I don't think the shades make the man-I think a guy who is cool, confident, courteous and sophisticated can pull off a any frame because its THAT which people see, feel and are impacted by more. I never thought someone was one way or another based on clothing or accessories or car...it was something else I "read" in them that formed my first impression.
What was your quality issue with the Split Jacket? Is it prevalent in all Split Jackets?

My wife agrees with the Oil Rig/Batwolf sentiment when it's done with the clear frame. I wanted either a Oil Rig or Batwolf in a clear frame with Ice Iridiums but my wife flat out said no. :laugh:

However she was okay with an Oil Rig Polished Black/Warm Grey for some reason. I haven't bought those yet but plan to since they're nice and cheap with MyCokeRewards.

But I definitely agree with you on the fact that shades don't make the person. If someone were to judge me negatively based on a pair of Polished White Split Jackets, I probably wouldn't want to talk to them anyways. :tongue:

Honestly I found clear frames let way too much sun in on sides...its like wearing icicles in the sunlight for me...looks cool though..ironically maybe due to heat or team colors I think half of MLB wears white frames...O is even including roids with the new Barry Bonds signature pair

That's what I've seen on reviews for clear frames that they let in too much light. On the flip side, if I wear them while driving I wouldn't have the blind spots that non-clear frames have. Every time I wear my TF Gascans I have to deal with both the car's blind spot and the ones on the frame as well.

I do have to say they look killer though.

What was your quality issue with the Split Jacket? Is it prevalent in all Split Jackets?

My wife agrees with the Oil Rig/Batwolf sentiment when it's done with the clear frame. I wanted either a Oil Rig or Batwolf in a clear frame with Ice Iridiums but my wife flat out said no. :laugh:

However she was okay with an Oil Rig Polished Black/Warm Grey for some reason. I haven't bought those yet but plan to since they're nice and cheap with MyCokeRewards.

But I definitely agree with you on the fact that shades don't make the person. If someone were to judge me negatively based on a pair of Polished White Split Jackets, I probably wouldn't want to talk to them anyways. :tongue:

I own the Clear Frame Batwolf...I also own the Black Ink Batwolf. I personally like the clear frame to the Black now that I wear both...its cooler temp-wise and I just think it looks better. I do get some ghosting with the clear and they do let light in, but honestly it it isn't any worse to my eyes with Ice and clear than it is with Black and Ruby (14% transmission).

My wife doesn't give opinions on my eyewear anymore...she knows she's wasting her breath at this point.

The inside of the case on the Splits was ripped and one of the grey lenses was scratched.

As far as the Split Jackets and quality, i have no issue and they're actually one of my favorite frames.

On the subject of driving with clear (or crystal) frames and blind spots, don't think just because it's clear it will help you with that. The way the frames are contoured and shaped really distorts your peripheral vision. I wear clear and crystal frames while driving and it REALLY messes with your side vision. I've learned to ignore the weirdness while driving, but for someone who isn't used to it, be VERY careful.

Back