• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Who else loves collecting Jawbones or New Racing Jackets?

I'll have to take a pic of all my jawbone and rj, but here is my cape epic racing jackets
2896164c14576aba9ebecc7269c92c82.jpg

Had some paint and a jawbone that needed some tlc
d5ce02293dbbc16f1f0057fee70d993c.jpg

Almost like a ghost pearl it looks like. Whereas straight pearls pigmented, ghost pearls just reflect light at certain angles of high intensity.
I’d like to see what it looks like in flat diffused light.

When I painted cars this was one of my favorite looks. You’ll think your seeing a standard color or even pearl while in the garage or on a cloudy day, but when you pull it out of the garage or the sun breaks thru brightly you see the ghost in full effect at certain angles. Walk around a ghosted car in bright sunlight and the color shifts with every step. Out of direct sunlight the color appears completely standard.

Almost like a ghost pearl it looks like. Whereas straight pearls pigmented, ghost pearls just reflect light at certain angles of high intensity.
I’d like to see what it looks like in flat diffused light.

When I painted cars this was one of my favorite looks. You’ll think your seeing a standard color or even pearl while in the garage or on a cloudy day, but when you pull it out of the garage or the sun breaks thru brightly you see the ghost in full effect at certain angles. Walk around a ghosted car in bright sunlight and the color shifts with every step. Out of direct sunlight the color appears completely standard.

Seems like you are much more well versed in various pearl types, so excuse me if I sound stupid... is a ghost pearl simply a finish touch done to an existing color via a clear coat with flakes (rainbow in this case) that when applied on top of what could be considered a finished paint job minus the standard clear coat. This ghost pearl will as though enhance the look of the finish when exposed to direct light, while retaining original color's appearance in dormant conditions....

Or does a ghost pearl, entail various stages of mixing as is required with finishes such as; flip-flop, color-shift, or Chameleon pearl paint job effects?

Asking as I had a Pro M-Frame I painted chalkboard satin black, then clear coated it with a pearl effect metallic flake finish (flakes were white / effect was rainbow) an it turned out quite similar to this RJ. In the sunlight, I'd get a rainbow sparkles like you see on his frame. While in the shade there's be no rainbow at all, instead it's just speckled white flakes - an the color is more of a charcoal grey now because of that pearl effect coating.

I was trying to achieve as though a flat/satin color out of light (where as it's more of a glossy) while being all rainbowy as shown here in the sun.

TLDR; is ghost pearl, simply a finishing clearing coat touch that adds the rainbow effect you see here. Or is it actually a process of mixing the pearl flake into the paint itself and going on in one shot?

Seems like you are much more well versed in various pearl types, so excuse me if I sound stupid... is a ghost pearl simply a finish touch done to an existing color via a clear coat with flakes (rainbow in this case) that when applied on top of what could be considered a finished paint job minus the standard clear coat. This ghost pearl will as though enhance the look of the finish when exposed to direct light, while retaining original color's appearance in dormant conditions....

Or does a ghost pearl, entail various stages of mixing as is required with finishes such as; flip-flop, color-shift, or Chameleon pearl paint job effects?

Asking as I had a Pro M-Frame I painted chalkboard satin black, then clear coated it with a pearl effect metallic flake finish (flakes were white / effect was rainbow) an it turned out quite similar to this RJ. In the sunlight, I'd get a rainbow sparkles like you see on his frame. While in the shade there's be no rainbow at all, instead it's just speckled white flakes - an the color is more of a charcoal grey now because of that pearl effect coating.

I was trying to achieve as though a flat/satin color out of light (where as it's more of a glossy) while being all rainbowy as shown here in the sun.

TLDR; is ghost pearl, simply a finishing clearing coat touch that adds the rainbow effect you see here. Or is it actually a process of mixing the pearl flake into the paint itself and going on in one shot?
@SouLFuLFroG or @Wavecloud may know the answer to this.

In my experience, ghost pearl is added in with clear coat very very sparingly. This is how you obtain the best results, just ghost and binder. There are premixed ghost pearls with a base but the effect is much more subdued. On a molecular level the base particles essentially swallow up the ghost particles if mixed together, so the percentage of ghost being contacted directly by sunlight is much less.

I’m curious what you meant by “pearl effect metal flake”?
One thing to remember is flakes and pearls are two very different things and are used to reflect light by design. Flat/satin and flakes/pearls don’t naturally go hand in hand for this reason.

Also, much less is needed than most people think, me included. If you were to do it again, use maybe 1/4 the amount. The particles need room per-say to be hit by and reflect the light. When there’s to many of em bunched up crowded and piled on top of each other you often get a rainbow effect like you see.

What type of paint, clear coat, and pearl/flake did you use?

In my experience, ghost pearl is added in with clear coat very very sparingly. This is how you obtain the best results, just ghost and binder. There are premixed ghost pearls with a base but the effect is much more subdued. On a molecular level the base particles essentially swallow up the ghost particles if mixed together, so the percentage of ghost being contacted directly by sunlight is much less.

I’m curious what you meant by “pearl effect metal flake”?
One thing to remember is flakes and pearls are two very different things and are used to reflect light by design. Flat/satin and flakes/pearls don’t naturally go hand in hand for this reason.

Also, much less is needed than most people think, me included. If you were to do it again, use maybe 1/4 the amount. The particles need room per-say to be hit by and reflect the light. When there’s to many of em bunched up crowded and piled on top of each other you often get a rainbow effect like you see.

What type of paint, clear coat, and pearl/flake did you use?

Great info!! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼😀

Latest Posts

Back