• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who Is Oakley´s Biggest Rival ?

20150328_113459.jpg

20150328_113517.jpg
Costa is owned by Essilor. Here in FL at least they seem to be the go to glasses. I redid Costa's offices a few months ago and after seeing their manufacture process, not buying any. (Oakley for life, yo). But, their IT/COMM guy and I were in their conference room and he was wearing Oakley RX while I was wearing Gascans.
These displays were cool tho. Made from lenses and frame parts.

I think style wise they have no rivals, quality wise would be Maui Jim. Overall quality Maui jim blows Oakley out of the water.

I would have to agree that if there was a true competitor for Oakley, it would be Maui Jim. Very different in design and purpose though. MJ lenses are nice, but lack in the sheer variety offered by Oakley. I also like Oakleys manufacturing process better. Polarization is not just a filter sandwiched between layers. I just wish Oakleys lenses didn't scratch so damn easily.

Time was, you said "sunglasses" and the response was "RayBan".
Depending on the age of the respondent, that may still be the case.
I would have to agree with SuperSharp now though; Maui Jim is the new Oakley.

I guess the next biggest is ray ban. At least a rival on the marked for good sunglasses and classic design. But I don’t know another brand who create, such an amount of different lenses and unique sunglasses. If you locking for a clear view, high quality frame and cool design, there isn't any other option.

Oakley is best classified in the sports and sports lifestyle segment. In that regard I guess Rudy Project is the biggest competitor. They use Trivex lenses which the industry sees as superior to Oakley's polycarbonate based lenses. Oakley has better frame design and materials, plus better marketing and brand recognition.

Some names being thrown around...

As mentioned, Ray Ban is also owned by Lux so I wouldn't consider them true rivals...

Maui Jim's been around a while and gets a fair share of lip service...

But I agree with Slojack, Costa has become Oakley's biggest rival. Their target customer base largely overlaps Oakley, and it's gotten to the point where I see them everywhere... I went to a wedding last year and almost everybody was wearing Costa; that's when I first noticed them, I didn't recognize the logo, looked a little like an O icon where they'd gotten the internal cutout/circle off-center...

And since then I continue to see them almost (but not quite) as frequently as I see Oaks in the wild...

Some names being thrown around...

As mentioned, Ray Ban is also owned by Lux so I wouldn't consider them true rivals...

Maui Jim's been around a while and gets a fair share of lip service...

But I agree with Slojack, Costa has become Oakley's biggest rival. Their target customer base largely overlaps Oakley, and it's gotten to the point where I see them everywhere... I went to a wedding last year and almost everybody was wearing Costa; that's when I first noticed them, I didn't recognize the logo, looked a little like an O icon where they'd gotten the internal cutout/circle off-center...

And since then I continue to see them almost (but not quite) as frequently as I see Oaks in the wild...
Everywhere here. I'm a fishermen, spend time at the docks. You almost feel discriminated against ocularly (new term) if you're not Costa'd up.

Back