• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who prefers Oil Rigs to Oil Rig II's and why?

Funky-Trixtar

......Jedi Mind trickery...........
Premium Member
Kent, England
Allrght, this is something that bugs me. Why change the shape of the earstems (arms) detailing. Why did they 'tart it up'? Essentialy in my eyes, make a nice 'flowing' design and BALL$ it up.....

I think both are great glasses but prefer the original, the pitfall that I see though is that the first version was cut short by being dropped too soon, I think it could have had a much longer life as a model, then the change was relatively small but the II copied almost every colourway of it's predecessor. With such a large frame there was so much scope for more variation, and perhaps the first releases with the flat arms could have provided interesting options for Artists Series or expansive colour designs. The full potential was possibly never realised with either model. Also, if you were an Oil Rigoholic you would feel a potential need to collect them all thus end up buying the same stuff essentially with II, best option was perhaps to cherry pick the best of each. I wound up with almost every original, and a handful of II.

I think both are great glasses but prefer the original, the pitfall that I see though is that the first version was cut short by being dropped too soon, I think it could have had a much longer life as a model, then the change was relatively small but the II copied almost every colourway of it's predecessor. With such a large frame there was so much scope for more variation, and perhaps the first releases with the flat arms could have provided interesting options for Artists Series or expansive colour designs. The full potential was possibly never realised with either model. Also, if you were an Oil Rigoholic you would feel a potential need to collect them all thus end up buying the same stuff essentially with II, best option was perhaps to cherry pick the best of each. I wound up with almost every original, and a handful of II.

I like the idea of collabs, Ashley. Also that's a fair point about expensive colour designs. However, I feel that adding
gairish colours to this frame would not suit it's basc looks (on the original anyway).
For some reason, I still think they made a mess of a perfectly good piece by over embelishing it. Every time I see the Oil Rig II's Icon, it reminds me of something from Star Wars: just too fussy..........

I always thought the arms, and probably the whole frame to be honest, were a bit clunky looking. For both models. But the Star Wars reference is telling, the second gen in particular have something of the look of a prop for a low budget sci-fi film...

1st gen was easy to fake so most "1st gens" you see are fakes. 2nd gen with the castle icon is far better and nobody will put the time in effort into faking them.

I always thought the arms, and probably the whole frame to be honest, were a bit clunky looking. For both models. But the Star Wars reference is telling, the second gen in particular have something of the look of a prop for a low budget sci-fi film...

I've always like that big bulky look of the Oil Rigs, It suits my face shape perfectly! It just seemed rushed on the II's, so haphazard.

1st gen was easy to fake so most "1st gens" you see are fakes. 2nd gen with the castle icon is far better and nobody will put the time in effort into faking them.

So it was all down to fakes being made...........didn't know that. Still not convinced though.

I've had both a pair of the Nicky Hayden Oil rigs in the new and old style. As far as the styling on the "O" I preferred the first gen. The second gen is jagged on the icons and takes away from the frames that had designs on them. Just my .02

Only diff is the Icon and yes the Gen 1 arms are flat
Gen 1 on left Gen 2 on right
I like em both

IMG_20150325_214607_860.jpg

Back