• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are lenses inside not anti-reflection coated anymore?

Bluecharge

Oakley Beginner
Hi,

Some Years ago I owned a Oakley Whisker polarized bronze. It had a decent coating on the inner surface of the lenses. This is much important because it protects your eyes from reflected UV rays and reduces annoying light reflections from the sides.

Then my Whisker got lost, but I used to be pretty happy and satisfied with it, so I bought them again. And then my satisfaction began to vanish!
This is why:
  • No coated lenses anymore - UV reflection may damage eyes
  • finish of frame easy srcatchable, once damaged I could peal off with my nails
Bear in mind, it's not a 5 bucks sunglasses from a gas station but a $150+ from Oakley!
I just wonder why quality was seriously reduced and I would love to get my old one back..

Any comments?
Regards, Peter

Welcome to the forum. :)

I notice your comment "UV reflection may damage eyes". It would have to be a LOT to seriously damage your eyes.

But guru is right. The coating is still there.

Where did you buy this replacement pair?

Oh, that's a surprise! Well, mine and all the Oakley glasses I inspected at my local store are definitely not coated on the inner side. Could you share a foto of reflection of the inner side of the lenses, please?
If you wear them in snowy conditions but not only, of course there is danger of UV. Everybody knows and should protect I think..

I think your inspection process may have been lacking. They are all still coated.

You normally can't see the AR layer unless it starts to peel. And even with the AR coating, there will still be some reflection upon inspection; that doesn't mean it's not there.

When you're wearing them, can you ever see a reflection of your eyes / face on the inside of the lens? I would think not, because the AR coating is there.

[...]

When you're wearing them, can you ever see a reflection of your eyes / face on the inside of the lens? I would think not, because the AR coating is there.
Well, its true, I can see an very obvious reflection of face and eyes on the inside of the lens. Its not reduced by any AR coating.

Be sure, I know the difference and how to discover on optics. A multi-layer antireflection coating is always visible by a light colored tint on the coated surface. Therefore I asked for a foto, would be helpful if someone,could show it. Then I really had to think about buying a new Oakley from another store.

But to be on the safe side, I will write a mail to Oakley and ask them if they use AF coatings
Meanwhile, sorry to disturb you.

What you are describing is a MAR coating on a clear lens, not an iridium coated Lens. The (M)AR coat is tuned to specific frequencies. Typically the MAR coating on regular prescriptions lenses are tuned to the frequencies of visible light so you get less glare on VDUs etc.. An MAR coat tuned for UV light would not alter any reflections you can see ( visible light)

Hello Typhoon,
thank you for your explanation.
Yes, I was clearly talking about AR coating on the inner (towards eye) side of lenses, not about iridium coating.
My first Oakley buyed in 2008 had this AR coating, the following Oakley didn't. I was thinking about some nasty product cost optimization...

I still dont understand this. They all have AR coating, whether you think you have the incredible power to see them or not.

AFAIK, only the Pit Boss II had backside (inside) AR coating.

Even Juliets do not have AR on the inside. If there is an AR coating on the inside, colors will usually distort to a greenish yellow or something bluish depending on the AR coating used. Reflections will also be a bit fainter as well.

Check out Ray-Ban aviators vs Oakleys at SGH and you'll see that when viewing reflections on the inside on the Ray-Bans that SGH in-store lightning is not reflected as white. It is greenish or yellowish if I remember correctly.

Back