• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are lenses inside not anti-reflection coated anymore?

This is one of my only main complaints with Oakley lenses, is that they don't do AR coating. I have a pair of Maui Jims, Persol, and a few RX lenses all of which feature an AR coating noticeable as a blue or green tinted slightly reflective coating on the inside of the lens. But most Oakleys (at least the sport models I use) tend to let so little light in from the sides that it's rarely an issue.

OK guys, you don't see the same indicators of AR as you do with other brands. These aren't those other brands.

It's there - it can sometimes peel. Here's a very recent thread about it:

What Is Happening To My Lenses? | Oakley Forum

And if you do a proper search, you'll find a number of old threads about the same subject.

The fact that the AR coating may peel, some may consider it a flaw while others may consider it misuse. But, either way, it's there...

Ok to all the guys constantly claiming that AR coating is still on any Whisker, Blender or whatever: here on this official product foto you can clearly see that you're wrong.
There is definitely no noticeable effect of any AR coating on the inner side of that lenses!
"But hey it's there, you just can't see it!" - ridiculous. Please, tell me the advantage of an AR coating without any effect. You still will be blended by that kind of mirroring surface just like on any cheap sunglasses. Could really be better in my opinion.

More than that, Oakley seems not even aware of that lack of quality, otherwise they wouldn't provide product fotos like the one below.
Don't get me wrong, I like them (especially the Whisker) so much that I'm very disappointed about that kind of nasty product cost optimization...

Whisker.PNG

Ok to all the guys constantly claiming that AR coating is still on any Whisker, Blender or whatever: here on this official product foto you can clearly see that you're wrong.
There is definitely no noticeable effect of any AR coating on the inner side of that lenses!
"But hey it's there, you just can't see it!" - ridiculous. Please, tell me the advantage of an AR coating without any effect. You still will be blended by that kind of mirroring surface just like on any cheap sunglasses. Could really be better in my opinion.

More than that, Oakley seems not even aware of that lack of quality, otherwise they wouldn't provide product fotos like the one below.
Don't get me wrong, I like them (especially the Whisker) so much that I'm very disappointed about that kind of nasty product cost optimization...

View attachment 152983
I don't care one way or another about this, but an Amazon listing is far from proof either way. Oakley doesn't sell on Amazon, therefore that isn't an "official product photo" from Oakley. Farther down the page it will tell you who the product is actually sold by.

Again, I don't care about who's right or wrong, but that pic is hardly proof of anything.

From my experience, backside AR coating is not available on most of the stock Oakley lenses. Even prescription eyewear doesn't have it by default - there's an extra charge if you want backside AR coating. The coating that peels away appears to be either hydrophobic coating or an AR coating not tuned to visible light and thus are not real "AR" coating that's commonly referred to in the optics marketplace.

for those who will no doubt ask for proof...

VR28 BIP prescription with backside AR coating as shown in the pic with 2 pairs of C-Wires (DSC_3910)
vs
OO Red IP stock lens without backside AR coating as shown in pic with 1 pair of C-Wire (DSC_3911)

DSC_3910.jpg

DSC_3911.jpg

View attachment 152983
Have you at any point in time contacted Oakley DIRECTLY about this at all? Once? Yes or no?

Just called Oakley, spoke to the warranty department. Confirmed that all Oakley lenses, prescription or otherwise, have an AR coating. And if you dont believe me, look up Oakley Stealth ™. That is what oakley calls their AR coating.

@jdd32: Thank you very much for sharing these pics with us! Its so much better than any assertion from that fan-boys without any objectiveness.
Besides, I like the VR28 BIP. Will have to find out if polarization is available with that on

Latest Posts

Back