• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are lenses inside not anti-reflection coated anymore?

I just find it kind of funny, I never questioned senior member's input when I was new here. Hell, i have been here over 2 years, have almost 5000 posts, and I still dont question info from people here that know their stuff, especially when I ASKED for their 2 cents. Where does this guy get off? I'm not saying senior members have all the answers, but when you have Kronin and Frank telling you you're wrong, chances are, you're wrong.
:drinks::drinks:

Kronin is the FONT after all. ;)

To be honest, there's something that doesn't add up. I've bought prescription Oakleys previously and none of them had the haze backside AR coating - they all had standard clear coating of some sort that reflected images clearly. I got the VR28 BIP scripted and paid the extra $40 for backside AR and it's very different - you definitely don't see reflections as easily. Now if Oakley is saying they have stealth AR coating as standard, then what the hell did I pay with my $40 with clear difference?

BTW I bought the lenses from OPSM (aka Lenscrafters equivalent in Australia - owned by lux), so it's not like some back-alley shop...
The debate (if its worthy of that description) was more about non RX lenses having the coating. RX lenses have always been different than standard lenses as far as what coatings are available and how they are used.

I guess they have different labs doing the stock & RX lenses and thus the difference in finish
Standard lenses aren't custom. They are done in relatively large batches to get uniform results, all treated to the same processes and materials. Rx lenses are basically a one off every time you make them.

It makes more sense from a business and a customer satisfaction stand point to itemize every part of their construction to allow the customer to choose what works best for them. Keep in mind sunglasses are often worn for much shorter lengths of time than Rx glasses so the desire for the perfect set of lenses is even greater.

Basically your Rx lenses are hand crafted vs machine crafted for standard lenses. That means every extra step like an AR coating is going to be an extra cost.

To Now if Oakley is saying they have stealth AR coating as standard, then what the hell did I pay with my $40 with clear difference?

Stealth isn't a standard coating. it is very much a premium coating you pay for (except on some Rx like True Digital). Oakley does have a standard AR coating on their lenses but as you have noted, it's not exactly super premium.

Back