• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are Oakley Romeo's and Juliets so expensive?

One thing that people forget is that Oakley "back in the day" was getting counterfeited a lot. A big part of the reason for X Metal is - what can we do that is really difficult to counterfeit? Titanium has to be cast in a vacuum chamber. Not a cheap deal. Back then the thinking was what can we do, that is so difficult and we can promote the crap out of it? It was brilliant.
As far as the name Jim likes making up names. It is his thing. I know this.

https://avs.scitation.org/doi/10.1116/1.1315401
Romeo & Juliet were named not after Shakespeare's play, but rather Romeo Y Julieta cigars (J.J.)

To answer the original question. Generally speaking, Romeos are a bit more than other glasses but still not stupid crazy prices considering they originally sold for about $250.00. They have been discontinued for a while, and while they were not really limited in production, the supply will slowly diminish over time. No more will be produced. I believe this is what contributes to the higher pricing.

Juliet’s are not quite as expensive and have not really seen as much of a price increase partly due to the number of years produced and the sheer volume produced over that time period. Juliets can still be had a decent prices and the customization options are limited only by your imagination.

Both or either is worth the investment.
My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) was that Romeos got pulled out of circulation because of the "spider" crack issue which was a design flaw due to undue pressure on the lenses at the joints. Oakley offered a swap for any Romeo 1 because of the issue. I thought I read somewhere that someone upgraded his R1 for a 24 k juliet (or XS?? Can't quite remember the exact details).

Gonna stick my fork

tenor.gif

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) was that Romeos got pulled out of circulation because of the "spider" crack issue which was a design flaw due to undue pressure on the lenses at the joints. Oakley offered a swap for any Romeo 1 because of the issue. I thought I read somewhere that someone upgraded his R1 for a 24 k juliet (or XS?? Can't quite remember the exact details).

Ha don’t know how I missed this. But to answer the question. yes, part of the reason was the spider cracking on the lenses. At the time Oakley offered replacement with other X Metals (various models including Juliet, lol) Oakley only needed to tweak the lens cuts, as seen by some of our talented members here. Lol.

This must be about the spider cracks:

"As he listens, Jannard moves the smooth temples of the glasses open and closed. "Well, we aren't going to sell anything with defects," he says adamantly. "That's out. Forget that." "

This must be about the spider cracks:

"As he listens, Jannard moves the smooth temples of the glasses open and closed. "Well, we aren't going to sell anything with defects," he says adamantly. "That's out. Forget that." "

This was long, but a great read!! Thanks for sharing..

Back