• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are people (Forum members included) so cheap?

David_Oakley

I should Work at Oakley
Houston, TX
First off, I get that this is not only a loaded question, but also a possible condemnation of sorts. So be it.

I get that everyone (myself included) wants to get a bargain, or the best deal possible. Having said that, it is just irksome that people don't want to pay for what something is worth.

Yes X-metal prices have gone down, but they are still worth something. People "kick tires" on a for sale thread (mine for example) and never really intend on buying what's for sale. Even worse, they try to elicit a "lowest price" out of you (the seller) for God knows why. Not like they are truly serious about buying anyway.

If all of you reading this are somewhat offended or rubbed the wrong way about this OP, that's fine. I'm just voicing my opinion in this God Blessed Trump Era.

Also, if an X-metal set has sold recently at a current market price on the forum, then by transitive property of equality my set (or anyone else's set) should be able to sell for that current price yeah?

What gives? People always trying to save a buck here and there and just not even taking into consideration that the seller is already taking a hit for this plummeted X-metal market.

If you truly want to buy it, pay what it's worth. No one's going to give things away so stop trying that angle.

There's a fine line between being patient and a flat out "hopeless romantic".

David

First off, I get that this is not only a loaded question, but also a possible condemnation of sorts. So be it.

I get that everyone (myself included) wants to get a bargain, or the best deal possible. Having said that, it is just irksome that people don't want to pay for what something is worth.

Yes X-metal prices have gone down, but they are still worth something. People "kick tires" on a for sale thread (mine for example) and never really intend on buying what's for sale. Even worse, they try to elicit a "lowest price" out of you (the seller) for God knows why. Not like they are truly serious about buying anyway.

If all of you reading this are somewhat offended or rubbed the wrong way about this OP, that's fine. I'm just voicing my opinion in this God Blessed Trump Era.

Also, if an X-metal set has sold recently at a current market price on the forum, then by transitive property of equality my set (or anyone else's set) should be able to sell for that current price yeah?

What gives? People always trying to save a buck here and there and just not even taking into consideration that the seller is already taking a hit for this plummeted X-metal market.

If you truly want to buy it, pay what it's worth. No one's going to give things away so stop trying that angle.

There's a fine line between being patient and a flat out "hopeless romantic".

David
It's just human nature to **** over everyone else rather than get ****ed especially when you're a cheap ******.

You can put whatever price you want on anything you are selling. The value is really only what someone is willing to pay. People are always going to try to get the item they want at the lowest price. Some people will also want to buy from a specific seller too because they have had great transactions with them. For me I will overpay for a rare item that I really want but I will definitely try to get the lowest price possible. Or form some of my favorite sellers I may pay a little more than I wanted and we are both happy and still friends afterwards. Now if I am selling, I don't mind if people try and talk me down. I usually price an item just a little higher than what I really want for it so there is some wiggle room and the seller will be happier because they got a better deal. IF something else sold at a certain price, yes it would stand to reason that another EXACT item would be worth around what the other sold for but maybe that was the only buyer willing to pay that price......if that is the case then the next buyer may want to pay $20 or $40 less. Most of us got into collecting these as a hobby, if you are doing it for an investment then you are looking in the wrong place. Values of items fluctuate a lot. Just price your item at whatever price you want and say the price is firm. Unless it is outrageously priced, you will find the right buyer. Good luck in your endeavors.

And actually people do give things away. I have a friend on here who has hooked me up with numerous deals on pairs I have longed for. I sent him LNIB pair of sunglasses just to say thank you. This guy does a lot for the members on here including posting a challenge and giving away freebies for it. He deserved a pay it forward for his helpfulness and genuine care for OUR community here so I gave him a pay it forward. Treat people here as you would your family and you will get the same treatment in return. There are lots of good members here and if you take care of them they will take care of you.

You can put whatever price you want on anything you are selling. The value is really only what someone is willing to pay. People are always going to try to get the item they want at the lowest price. Some people will also want to buy from a specific seller too because they have had great transactions with them. For me I will overpay for a rare item that I really want but I will definitely try to get the lowest price possible. Or form some of my favorite sellers I may pay a little more than I wanted and we are both happy and still friends afterwards. Now if I am selling, I don't mind if people try and talk me down. I usually price an item just a little higher than what I really want for it so there is some wiggle room and the seller will be happier because they got a better deal. IF something else sold at a certain price, yes it would stand to reason that another EXACT item would be worth around what the other sold for but maybe that was the only buyer willing to pay that price......if that is the case then the next buyer may want to pay $20 or $40 less. Most of us got into collecting these as a hobby, if you are doing it for an investment then you are looking in the wrong place. Values of items fluctuate a lot. Just price your item at whatever price you want and say the price is firm. Unless it is outrageously priced, you will find the right buyer. Good luck in your endeavors.

That's fair. However I for one am not selling these as an investment. I just want to recoup my costs and move on and out. It's frustrating for me the state of the current market.

I'm just a bit more irked about it now because I just want to get out of my collection. For an inquirer that sends me a pm and then asks me to give them my "lowest price" is even less respectful. At least have the stones to make an offer and we will go from there. It's a "game" of chicken, I get it, but annoyIng all the same.

And you've had the good fortune of knowing the right people at the right times to have them give pieces away to you. That's the exception, not the norm.

And what you said about the value is in the eye of the beholder is true, but everyone knows what said piece is worth. Trying to get it for a steal is not a crime in legal terms, but is certainly not a good way to foster a fair and positive transaction experience.

And actually people do give things away. I have a friend on here who has hooked me up with numerous deals on pairs I have longed for. I sent him LNIB pair of sunglasses just to say thank you. This guy does a lot for the members on here including posting a challenge and giving away freebies for it. He deserved a pay it forward for his helpfulness and genuine care for OUR community here so I gave him a pay it forward. Treat people here as you would your family and you will get the same treatment in return. There are lots of good members here and if you take care of them they will take care of you.

Brother, how would you define "take care of others"? In my opinion, that entails a myriad of things such as, integrity (shipping and accurately stating condition) and not gouging a fellow member more than a fair market price. It does not suggest to me that I should give it away as a pay it forward deed. This is all hard earned money.

Unless the buyer/seller states over the forum what the purchase was made at what price no one really knows what they sold at. You can't compare your sale versus another member.

Why does the seller's original cost matter to you? It's none of your business. If it's the current market price, that's all that matters

Why does the seller's original cost matter to you? It's none of your business. If it's the current market price, that's all that matters

I didn't say the original price,I was referring to the sale price on the forum which should drive or fuel the market right? Unless there is a guide book somewhere that states what x metals are worth.

Back