• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Are Polarized Sunglasses So Expensive?

mcs33

Oakley Beginner
I've been wanting to get the M Frame heater sunglasses for over a year, but when I select the polarized option the price goes up to $260.. why are they so expensive? My REI ones are polarized and were only $30. I'd probably be distracting while I'm rowing worried about dropping them in the water or something.

There is always a premium on polarized as you are adding a filter to the lens and this causes extra steps in the production process. With that said you are looking at a shield lens which is 5x more difficult to produce than smaller lenses. You usually see about a $50 difference in non polar and polar. Once you jump to single lens frames (Batwolf, Radar, M Frame, Offshoot...etc) you usually see about $90 difference. Although I believe there will be a price change that will lower that a bit soon) Don't get us started on your $30 polar glasses!

The difference is also the method of Oakley's polarization vs other companies.

Oakley does an injection molding when polarizing a lens, this method provides for the best clarity possible because you aren't using layers to achieve that affect, which is what most companies do (Maui Jim, Ray Ban, etc). Layers create distortion, give depth perception issues and can peel off.

When going to a shield lens, the injection process is much more difficult to achieve which is why there is a price premium on those lenses. Although sometimes the price difference is insane.

To make a long story short, you get what you pay for.

There is always a premium on polarized as you are adding a filter to the lens and this causes extra steps in the production process. With that said you are looking at a shield lens which is 5x more difficult to produce than smaller lenses. You usually see about a $50 difference in non polar and polar. Once you jump to single lens frames (Batwolf, Radar, M Frame, Offshoot...etc) you usually see about $90 difference. Although I believe there will be a price change that will lower that a bit soon) Don't get us started on your $30 polar glasses!

Ya think you could get started on 30 dollar polarized? I know oakley puts alot of effort in making their lenses but what is the difference between cheap polarized and say oakleys?

Is the difference huge or minute?

Batwolf explains the process pretty well above.

Plus some $30 glasses do not block out 100% UVA and UVB. Oakley does plus 100% UVC and 400 nm of blue light. Some inexpensive glasses block 60% UVA and 40% UVB and are allowed to put 100% UV protection stickers on their glasses. Because of this since your eyes are shaded your iris opens and can let more UV into your eye than wearing no sunglasses at all.

Cheaper polarized glasses can have the polarized filter simply layered on the outside of the lens so that when you scratch your lens you are actually scratching the polar filter.

There are obviously differences in impact resistance.

That's a start. And I didn't mean to imply your $30 glasses specifically do all these things. I have sold eyewear for 15 years and have had many customers ask the same question. I have also seen these customers try nicer sunglasses (not only Oakley) and come back and tell me they can never go back. It is true that you get what you pay for.

Latest Posts

Back