• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why are Oakley Romeo's so expensive?

Actually that would be supply and demand. Based on the deals that we're seeing on the forum, the intersection of the supply and demand curves seems to be somewhere between $500 and $600. If prices are going up, it's either because the supply is dwindling, demand is increasing, or a combination of the two.

The supply is steady and demand is steady. I understand s&d, but I don't think its what this is exactly. Ask some members what they've paid over the last few years and we can get a better picture.

It's supply and demand...with a little twist thanks to the eBay market. You guys have to admit that eBay has significantly driven up prices of anything that is considered "collectible."

I still don't think Romeo's are worth the prices they go for but people seem to argue with me all day on that.

eBay has given the secondary market for Oakleys the liquidity it needs to allow prices to reach their natural equilibrium between supply and demand. If there was no eBay, we'd just be trading amongst ourselves and there's only so much demand in our tiny little market. When you post something on eBay, it expands the market to anyone with an internet connection and money burning a hole in their pocket. In a way, it's made the pricing of second-hand Oakleys more "efficient". If people are willing to pay higher prices (meaning an increase in demand), and supply is steady, then prices will go up. If people are no longer willing to pay higher prices (meaning a decrease in demand), and supply is steady, then prices will naturally fall. We're assuming supply is relatively steady since they're not making any more Romeos.

It's supply and demand...with a little twist thanks to the eBay market. You guys have to admit that eBay has significantly driven up prices of anything that is considered "collectible."

I still don't think Romeo's are worth the prices they go for but people seem to argue with me all day on that.

I agree that they are not worth $600-$800... Crazy.

Even if demand decreased, I don't think prices would fall.

Because they were the among the first X-metals to get discontinued. Oakley felt like there was a design flaw due to the stress fracture. ~ In 2004, Oakley started a soft recall by having the "exchange program".

Bingo. Relatively small run further reduced by the exchange program, plus 15 years of inflation...

Add the modern day greater fool theory of ebay, Romeos get stupid expensive.

I'm bitter that they discontinued *anything* relating to consumables (lenses or rubber) in the x metal line. This is the formula one version of sunglasses. What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Loss leader for the premium image. /rant

It means that this thread is 3 years old!

If they are BNIB and complete you probably could start there, but a display or wear pear no.

Latest Posts

Back