• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Buy Unpolarized Glasses At All...?!

MILE

Oakley Beginner
Another day, another newbie question…! ;)

So my first pair was a Pit Bull with Iridium Black polarized glasses, my gf tried them and liked them so much that she got herself a ladies Overtime with polarized glasses…

Seeing how great both those sunglasses and the lenses are I'm just wondering why anyone would buy non-polarized glasses at all…!? Wouldn't you want the best possible lenses available…?!

Are there certain advantages to the non-polarized lenses -- or disadvantages to the polarized ones ? Is it a style thing…? Or is is just about saving a few bucks…?

Thanks in advance…!

- MILE

If you need to use devices with LCD displays, polarized lenses, at certain angles, distort your perception of those displays. Potential danger.

the blacking out of lcd screens , a lens that has a higher light transmision rate, a beater lens so it is not as expensive to replace, ...

Totally depends on the situation. I prefer polarized for functionality such as driving, fishing, jet skiing, and so on.

Sometimes, polarized lenses can be annoying to some because of the rainbow effect.

Keep in mind also that polarized lenses are only available on certain colorway and frame models. That's why some settle for non polarized. (E.g. Violet iridium)

This is just my 2 Oakley Penny. Other members pls. Correct me if I am wrong.

the polarization of my phone screen makes me have to have it 45 degrees either way if im wearing polar glasses. Annoys me to no end.

Thanks, guys…! Interesting that the use of smartphones and other displays seems to be the major reason for using "regular" lenses…

Since I usually don't wear sunglasses when using a computer and can deal with the rainbow effect when using my iPhone I guess I'll try to go polarized for new purchases if available…! :)I haven't tried using a car GPS system yet though, curious to see how that works out…

- MILE

Seeing how great both those sunglasses and the lenses are I'm just wondering why anyone would buy non-polarized glasses at all…!? Wouldn't you want the best possible lenses available…?!

Polarized is overkill a lot of the time in the UK and a higher % light transmission is usually preferable!

the polarization of my phone screen makes me have to have it 45 degrees either way if im wearing polar glasses. Annoys me to no end.

Interesting thing I learned wearing Oakleys; my Android EVO3D is throwing transverse waves when in landscape orientation, whereas the iPhone does so in Portrait. I wonder how or why this happens...

Polarized is overkill a lot of the time in the UK and a higher % light transmission is usually preferable!

Overkill in what way…? As in filtering out way too much light…? Right now during this hot and sunny summer I'm loving the polarized lenses but do you think it would make sense to get non-polarized glasses for, let's say, a September hike then…?!

- MILE

I love polar lenses of all types. They can create a type of distortion, for the lack of a better term, on certain objects. I've noticed the dashboard on two of my cars look "colorful" with some polar lenses and that may disturb some people. Other than the electronics screen and some windshields and helmet visors, there is no down side to polar that I can argue, I love them.

Back